Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you guys tried any of those clutch kits for this specific machine? i'd like to get the most out of the engine. put more power to the ground. type of riding i do is mostly trail, i live on a flat land. i also use it to tow things.. gearing i believe is 25 top 40 bottom. also when extending the track to a 136 what changes needs to be done?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=442797 might be some pointers to your interest there <<

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info jesse. i ordered the parts that forum said, almond/red primary spring, 10-66 weights, stock blue secondary, r-49 helix, 3 buttons, some bushings and few other rebuild parts for the button secondary. what's this set up for?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Here's a post from a HCS member after using the set-up.

PRIMARY CLUTCH[/b]:
3) ALMOND/red stripe SPRING (POLARIS part # 7041988)
a) 66 gram stock weights, OR

Button Secondary[/b]
2) Stock SOLID BLUE Secondary Spring with R-49 Helix, (POLARIS Part # 5133023)
3) Replace the (3) little plastic wear buttons, they're approx $ 1.00 each

I just would like to say just I had an EPI Agressive trail clutch kit in my 02 800 X-Edge with SLP HI-comp heads Jetted with 460 jets my sled performed well in it's class but not good enough for me it was leaving most other 800 twins in the dust in my area But my main problem was loosing rpms from take off to 40mph it would be around 8000rpms then drop down to 7700-7600 rpms.
So I tried KRAVEN'S Clutch set up ALMOND/RED stripe spring (Primary) I used 10-64 polaris weights, for the Primary, BLUE secondary spring with R49 Helix, Now my sled cranks 8000-8100 rpms and holds the rpms (VERY CONSISTANT) WITH THIS SET UP I GAINED APPROX 4+ MPH IN A 800FT RADAR RUN

(Best Bang For The Buck IMO) Polaris items where cheaper than other aftermarket Clutch Setup's

Thanks Kraven for the advice!!
jaiken,

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i read that and that's the set up i ordered. i'm just asking what this specific set up is for. i.e.; drag, ditch, etc...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
has anyone tried this set up before? anyone?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Many people over at HCS have. Most have good results. I PM'd Kraven, he says that clutch set-up gives a few sled lengths down low, with minimal top end loss. He says its a good overall aggressive trail setup

·
Registered
11 Posts
shady800x said:
has anyone tried this set up before? anyone?
I used this setup in my 2005 xcsp 800 (MBRP can, V-Force 3 reeds, BB crank, SS valves). I tried 66's and 64's. I preferred the 64's for more low end aggressiveness, but for lake runs, i preferred the 66's. (the 66's keep the RPM's around 8000, where the 64's keep the RPM's around 8250-8300. As I like higher RPM's for ditch banging, but for trail riding, radar runs, lake running, the 66's were far superior, as the HP peak is at about 8050 RPM, and 10-66's are the closest weights to achieve optimal HP.
I gained 3 sled lengths in 800 feet, 4.5 sled lengths in 1500 feet, and 5.5 in 3000 feet over stock configuration (with other mods).

this setup worked best with a 1" Camoplast Predator track & 144 Gold Digger's for me!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice! sounds like more power is gonna goto the ground! stoked to give it a try! thanks for the info guys. how would this clutching be for water skipping too? any thoughts? i do water skip from time to time in the spring time, since there is so much water during the spring..

edit-most ppl here leave their snowmachines stock, let alone 'clutch' their clutches. so this sounds like will improve my 800 a whole lot. the biggest 'mods' they do around here is getting aftermarket reeds and a can. that's pretty much it. again, i'm excited to see what the results are. my 8's engine was rebuilt this past spring, since the clutches were bad, i just put it away and waited for this winter to break it in more. so far i think i used about 1 tank and a half. i have about 2 more tank fulls left for fully break in.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
shady800x said:
nice! sounds like more power is gonna goto the ground! stoked to give it a try! thanks for the info guys. how would this clutching be for water skipping too? any thoughts? i do water skip from time to time in the spring time, since there is so much water during the spring..

edit-most ppl here leave their snowmachines stock, let alone 'clutch' their clutches. so this sounds like will improve my 800 a whole lot. the biggest 'mods' they do around here is getting aftermarket reeds and a can. that's pretty much it. again, i'm excited to see what the results are. my 8's engine was rebuilt this past spring, since the clutches were bad, i just put it away and waited for this winter to break it in more. so far i think i used about 1 tank and a half. i have about 2 more tank fulls left for fully break in.
if the setup gains lengths down low, means it pulls harder. so im sure it will love the water.

I'm glad the link helped you out!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay kewl thanks again guys for the help. i expect great things from this set up. can't wait to give it a try. now i need to learn how to work on the button secondary..i've never worked on the secondary clutch before but thanks to this site, i know i'll have help. my tools are limited, i don't have that clutch holding fixture, or a secondary clutch compressor. i know it could be done without those tools, but those tools would make things easier. how can i rebuild the secondary clutch without the those tools?
jesse, aren't you in snowmobile.com too? gave that site a try, just to see what it's like. seems the only 'nice' thing about that site is that it has a chat system. and i seen our 'famous' teen here, sean lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts