Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does any body know how to determine how much a clutch weight weighs? I have a 85 600 and the clutch has not been working properly. There is one letter and 1 number on each weight they are M 1. Have no clue what this means. Also how do you take a clutch apart. And What is P-85 meen I have seen this I think it is the type of clutch for polaris. I also have a 97 XC 440 does it have P-85 as well as the 85 600?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Well P-85 is the Polaris primary clutch. I guess M1 would be the kind of weight you are using but I am not sure.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Big Willy, the best way to accurately weigh a weight is with a digital scale. If you know anyone in the body shop business, they have these to weigh paint when mixing. They work perfect. The M1 on your weight tells you the specific model and weight of it, but I cant find that anywhere in my records. Must be old. If you want to take the clutch off your sled, get a clutch removal tool, looks like a long rod with threads on it towards the bottom. Once off you remove the 6 outer bolts, loosening each one a little working your way around. Do not take one out and then go to the next. Loosen each one going around. Careful when you get to the end, the spring will be under pressure, push down with your hand so it will not pop up. Now its apart to do with you or your dealer want to do with it. P-85 is the type of clutches used on all full size Polaris sleds, the smaller and older 340 and 440's used a P-90 clutch. There you go.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
777 Posts
m 1 is a polaris weight M for modified 46 gram weight...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts