Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1996 ZRT 600, right now there is a yellow spring on the motor clutch, and a red spring on the secondary, and it has a black magic helix on it, it runs 107 MPH in a little over 2000 feet, it doesn't have any bottom end, and when you hit about 30-40 mph it just takes off, what can I do to get it out of the whole faster, but not loose 2000 feet speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey zrt600, i'm assuming your belt has the correct deflection and the clutches are aligned and all that good stuff. is that a black magic clutch kit or just the helix.hard to tell what the angle is when it says bm sx6 or something on it. i would check the driven spring maybe tighten it up one hole, and your weights they might be too heavy on the heel and not enough on the pivot.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just a black magic helix, so if I tighted the spring what will it do, won't it make the sled engage later, it's already at about 4200 RPM (does that sound right), and if I put lighter weights what will it do, what size weights should I use, will I loose top end, will the shifting be any different, right now it has very bad back shifting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tightening your secondary spring dosen't effect you engagement. It will change your top rpms. You need to know your what that motor should run for rpm. Any dealer will tell you. If you change your weights that will change your engagement and your top rpm. Lighter weights will raise your rpm at engagement and top rpm and they will backshift quicker, but they won't pull as hard in accelerating. DP made a good point, start by checking your belt and clutch alingment, also your jetting, if these are off your wasting time. Get your top rpms, and then test. Only change one thing at a time and take notes! If you find a good dealer or performance shop they will help you if you buy the parts from them. Some will even let you try used clutch parts so you don't have to drop 50 bucks a helix and 40 for weights. Good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Engagement for a zrt600 should be 5000 rpm. The 96 also had carb problems. put 2.0 cutout slides (came in 97 sleds) and use 45-50 pilot jets. Try HPE orange spring or Erlandson silver.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can I get the 2.0 cutout slides, what will they do, do they cause any reliability issues, and what should they cost, and what clutch should I get the spring for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Springs are for Drive Clutch. Your Arctic dealer should have them. They are the same slides that are in the 97's. There are no reliablity issues. Try some Polaris weights in the primary 52 gram.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By drive, the primary (the one with the weights) right, and where should I set the spring for 8000 RPM top end, and where will it engage with 52 gram notched polaris weight's. (just making sure so I don't have to do it more than once)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know what the gearing is, I'm going to change the chain case oil, and at the same time check the gearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts