Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 800 summit with a 144 I'm lookin for clutching setup for changing the stock helix and primary spring. What are some of the best setups some of you have tried?
And I'm thinking of putting a 151 track in and wondering if its best to go with rail extensions or to go to a big whell kit.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome Rob, can't help you with your clutching...but for the 151 I would do a poor mans drop and roll(set the suspension back) and use the 8" BWK. Not only with improve you AOA(angle of attack) but it will be 100 times stronger than the extentions IMO. Plus with the bigger wheels you'll free up a couple MPH of track speed...

·
Registered
874 Posts
I agree with AKGold on moving the suspension back. Apparently the big wheel kit on the 04 King Cats are good for an additional 2-3hp at the track.

·
Registered
115 Posts
After going to the sled drag races in Brainerd - NHRA event on ashphalt, I saw the following:

These guys run HUGE rear wheels on their sleds, and their rolling resistance and running resistance seem to be WAY down from when they ran stock rears. Their MPH at the top end is a lot higher than it used to be, which is in part due to reduced track resistance at those high speeds. The sleds used to go out about 500 feet with wicked acceleration, the just DIE and hold 110-120mph for the remaining ~800 feet. Now they look like the cars, accelerating all the way down the track more steadily.

conclusion: I am sold on the big rear wheels. I don't think that's hype at all.

cheers
Pneuman
Calgary

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
You will still need to move the skid back even if you use a big wheel kit.
You just won't have to move it as far.
Take a look in my picture gallery, I went from a 136 to a 151, Used 144 rails and moved the skid back 3-1/2". The stock 01 MC rails used a bigger 7.125" wheel. The 00 had 6.625 so it didn't make a huge difference but it should help. http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6910&whichpage=1
Take a look I documented the proceedure pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts