Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body know if a cdi box can fade in and out of working properly, or do they quit working all at once. I am trying to determine wether it is my cdi box or my coils that are providing bad or no spark to my clutch side and stator side cylinders.
What happens is my snowmacine (85 indy 600) runs good when you start it and run it for about 10-15 minutes, then after that it seems like it only runs on the middle cylinder. And when it dies it is hard to start because it is only firing on in the middle cylinder. Could it possisbly be a stator? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will, a CDI can deffinitly go in and out. I've seen them work one minute and then for no reason stop. I've then tapped on them with a screwdriver and have them start working again for awhile. A friend of mine has an MXZ 670 like this. He rides it and when it quits hits the CDI with his hand and it starts right up again.
A stator can also behave just like you decribe. I have a 2000 xc700sp that I just replaced the stator on. It would run for 10 minutes and then just quit. When it cooled of it would start right up for another 10 minutes. I borrowed a working CDI to try and it did not fix the problem. Put in a new stator and been riding since.

Jon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Willy, I jusy had a similar problem with my '99 SummitX 670. Warm it up for 10 mins (idled fine), drive it and it had a bad bog a few times at 1/2 throttle, but after 5-10 mins more running time it was gone and ran great.

Then a few days later it wouldn't bog at all after warming up, but 15-20 mins into the ride it would bog really bad. I had to keep pumping the throttle at 1/2 just to get it to move. Once in a while it would fire nice and the sled would jump, then back to the bogging. ANyway, after all of this intermittent crap I had the CDI box replaced. I haven't had a chance to take it out for a test drive yet, but I'm hoping that fixes the problem. I have another post going for that one that I'll update on Sat after the ride. Maybe check it out, I had some really good replies from the forum guys. I think it had "Boggy SummitX" as the subject.

Darcy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts