Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this idea is hammered in my head for some crazy reason, but please give me your honest thoughts on it.
Cold air intake for a 1991 XC polaris.
Curved aluminum tubing that is the width of your carbs, that comes out and curves 90 degrees to about the hood heighth or so. Build an aluminum box around it to pack with snow, ice, dry ice (weight?) put on top of the tubing one of those tornado things if you could get one that fits, which basically twist the air for more power and fuel economy. Sounds too heavy, plus the air is already cold, lol but what do you think? has anyone here ever made one of these? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do you ride in above 60 degree weather on a daily basis?

Didn't think so.

The intake track on most sleds are tuned to the engine. Modifying that on a stock motor is not the best thing you could do to a sled.

You are already riding in cold temperatures, and the air-box is drawing in a good amount of cold outside air. Modifying the stock setup is just a waste of time and resources and won't yield you a noticeable result.

one of those tornado things if you could get one that fits, which basically twist the air for more power and fuel economy.
Those are a gimmick. When someone shows me a noticeable dyno increase or can prove they increase fuel mileage I will believe it still won't buy one. They are useless for 2-strokes regardless of how they work.

YMMV

·
Registered
349 Posts
As said, tornados are junk gimmicks. Don't bother. Also, no reason to pack snow or ice around an intake during winter riding. Your air intake is already cold, so long as your hood vents are not plugged.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have to side with sledhead907, however

I use cold air intake

[attachment=52896]

but then every REV I've seen uses them.[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Make sure your inlet into the upper airbox is always free of snow. You can do this by cutting a couple of holes in the airbox, behind it,just forward of your seat. Glue the velcro around the holes, and then place the foam filter element material over it.

Intakes are tricky, sometimes it works for some sleds, sometimes it doesn't. Much of the time modified airboxes are a tuning headache because there will be bogs or flat spots in the power curve, not to mention increase in noise can be considerable. I have done quite a bit of research over the past few years on the subject, and when I modified my xcr-800 motor, I left the intake tract pretty much alone. I went for things that were known, quantifiable power producers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts