Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Skidoo Safari Deluxe 377
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Skidoo Safari Deluxe 377 and was wondering if I could put on a cold air intake. I know my factory air box already sucks in cold air from outside and is optimally designed for my sled. I also know I would have to re-tune the carbs to compensate higher air flow. My plan would be to have aluminum piping from the carb to the vents on either side of my sled, and slap on some air filters. This way, I would still be sucking in cold air (same placing as stock intake), but suck in more air (bigger/less restrictive piping) and sound louder (no foam to deaden sound) So, my questions are;
(1) Will it be louder then my stock intake? (I want to have a louder intake)
(2) Will I have any power gains from installing a Cold Air Intake? (HP gains or better throttle response?)
(3) Is it worth the trouble?

It’s only a 377 and weights quite a bit so even the slightest power gain will help.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
Not worth the trouble, imho.

If there's anything worth gaining it's probably in the drivetrain. Older sleds often have neglected clutches. Dirty components and sacked out springs often leave performance on the table. If this is the case, give them a good tear down and cleaning. Replace the springs and any worn parts (belt, bushings, weights) and ride!

·
Registered
1993 Skidoo Safari Deluxe 377
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not worth the trouble, imho.

If there's anything worth gaining it's probably in the drivetrain. Older sleds often have neglected clutches. Dirty components and sacked out springs often leave performance on the table. If this is the case, give them a good tear down and cleaning. Replace the springs and any worn parts (belt, bushings, weights) and ride!
Thanks, firgured as much. I have to rebuild my secondary anyways because it won’t go over 60kph. And I’ve been looking at upgrading the primary clutch to a comet clutch because I’ve heard it makes this sled snappier. Thinking I might do a full rebuild of everything to get it all nice and almost like new. One other question if you don’t mind me asking. After I’ve cleaned everything, I’ve been possibly looking at putting a big bore kit on this, not much. Would like to get to 400cc. So I really only need to go from a 62 to a 64-65mm bore in order to reach it. So my question because I can’t find anything. How would I go about that, because I can’t find any kits for the 377 Rotax. Are big bore kits universal as long as a top end can bolt on my motor? Because as far as I know, a big bore kit is best way to get more power.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
So my question because I can’t find anything. How would I go about that, because I can’t find any kits for the 377 Rotax.
Generally engine specific, and likely never existed for your application.

If you're after more power, you're better off pinching pennies for something bigger/newer/faster/stronger. There's not a lot of performance to be gained on an old fan cooled machine. If that's not viable, make sure things are in good working order with what you have, and get out and enjoy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts