Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1997 XLT SP, and am going to pick it up this Sat. I rode it once last year and it was unbelievabley hard to start after sitting from the previous week. It would flood out and you'd have to change the plugs to get it started...took like 15-20 min to get it going. Once its warmed up it starts fine. It started easier the next morning but you had to stay on top of it to keep it running untill it was warmed up. My buddy says its just cold blooded, but I can't believe its that bad! When I get it, I'm gong to clean the carbs and make sure the choke cables etc are sliding correctly. If anyone has any other advice on what else to check I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My 96 XLT Special starts in 4 pulls on a COLD day. I had the same prblem with my old INDY lite. You should probably be checking the carbs...correct. If you need a quick way to start, blow-torch the plugs. That will get you going for now. It is definitely in your fuel lines somewhere. I would take it to your dealer and check the jetting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
On my storm it was one pull no matter what.....but the trick was I never used the choke, otherwise it wouldn't start.....it was probably just set up wrong but hey, it worked!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!​

·
Registered
181 Posts
All XLT's are hard to start but if you know how, its pretty simple. I have a 95 XLT special. Put the choke on, pull it until it starts, tap the throttle until you can tell its running on all three, then shut of the choke. You gotta get the choke off as soon as possible. If it keeps fouling out, go to the next leaner pilot jet. XLT's hate to be choked.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll be careful on the choke then and see how it goes. It has electric start. Is it some how easier to flood it out with that vs. pull starting? Should I just be using the electic start after its warmed up?

·
Registered
948 Posts
On my xlts, they react the same way when I try to start them from cold.

1. Pull 2 pulls slowly without ignition to free the pistons. (this makes it easier to pull hard when you want it to fire)
2. Key on, Kill off, Choke on full.
3. Pull hard, feather the throttle (only 10%)
4. If it catches, move choke to mid position immediately, keep feathering until it revs past idle.
5. If you can get to 4K rpm, choke off and just back off slowly back to idle.

Hooked on Phonics, works for me!

I should also add that my yamaha 700 and the A/C EXT 550 do not start with that same method.

EXT full choke, first pull and she's alive, wait for the warning light test to dim out choke off and she's ready.

Yamaha 700, 1/2 choke, 2nd, 3rd or 4th and she's alive, no fouling on that one.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

Edited by - Bman on December 13 2001 2:14:05 PM

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Ahhhh the beauty of EFI

Pull one charges the system....
Pull two starts!

No muss no fuss!! Now that's what I call awesome!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!​

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I don't know what is with my XLT. Ok, I choke it until it starts, when it start I turn off the choke. It will idle at about 3500 RPM either until it warms up r until I hit the throttle. It is strange, I like it!

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Cleaning the Carbs sounds like the first thing i would try. I very seriously doubt that the jets need changing. Just clean everything in the carbs and you should be fine.

On my 600 triple i have flat slide carbs so i dont know if it makes a difference or not, but mine always fires up on the second pull. Full choke on the first pull, move to half choke for the second pull and then the motor erupts to life....turn choke off as soon as the engine begins to run.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 94 XLT and i had the same problem ...replace the float needle and seats ...i know that they might look fine but alott of the flooding comes from them even when even when the machine is just ust sitting it will flood .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah i know what you mean. My xlt is a bear to start. But once you get it it runs fine. I tried to start it today and it wouldn`t start, then i remembered the last time i changed the plugs was........oooo......lets see...... a year ago. So tomarrow i`m going to go get plugs for it. I think thats the problem. the way i start mine is if it doesn`t start after ten pulls i shut it off but leave the choke on and pull it a few times. Then i shut the choke off and turn it on. I pull once it usually starts but if it doesn`t after i do that a few times i replace the plugs and it starts fine.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
On my 1996 XCR 440 SP the dumb thing would flood from sitting overnight, so I changed needles and seats then it never flooded from just sitting.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
on my 93 xlt, all i have to do is half choke, 2 pulls and it will roar with anticipation, choke off immediately, and let her idle for a bit, or blip the throttle a few times to ensure your runnin on three(if applicable), havent had any troubles yet, and its been pretty cold at night, but not enough snow for hardcore throttle time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 1997 XLT SP and here is my startup routine.

1. Middle choke setting
2. Pull until it starts
3. As soon as it starts,touch the throttle slightly while turning off the choke.
4. let her warm up and go!

Works everytime for me.

He who loves not his country can love nothing

·
Registered
8 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Tfin70:

I just bought a 1997 XLT SP, and am going to pick it up this Sat. I rode it once last year and it was unbelievabley hard to start after sitting from the previous week. It would flood out and you'd have to change the plugs to get it started...took like 15-20 min to get it going. Once its warmed up it starts fine. It started easier the next morning but you had to stay on top of it to keep it running untill it was warmed up. My buddy says its just cold blooded, but I can't believe its that bad! When I get it, I'm gong to clean the carbs and make sure the choke cables etc are sliding correctly. If anyone has any other advice on what else to check I'd appreciate it. Thanks.[/quote]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a used XLT-600 from a dealer last year and the dealer (of course) started it cold in 2 pulls. For 2 days I fought with cold starts and had to resort to heating the plugs and using starting fluid (not good but at least it started long enough for me to get it warmed up).
I brought it back to the dealer and they pulled the drain plugs out from underneat each cylinder and about 1 cup of gas drained from each.
We pulled the carbs and they vacuum tested the needle jets and all 3 were leaking, causing the flooding problem.
It starts better, but I agree with many of the other posts here that XLT's don't like to be choked.
The dealer showed me his approach to starting cold sleds and did nothing more than give one pull on full choke. Turn choke off and just barely touch the throttle (2-5%) and try it again. When it catches, let go of the throttle and feather it gently giving it just enough gas to keep it running until it warms up and will accept more throttle.
After a few minutes it should rev just fine and you'll be riding in no time. Good luck!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a 94 xlt sp 580, and i just turn the choke on full till she startes, then i shut the choke off until its warmed up, then i take off. Never had and startin problems.

Ride Polaris!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts