Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had or heard of a cold seize and how common is it on newer motors? I was not running the rmps i should have last weekend i hope it was the power valves because they were dirty but im hearing it may be a cold seize and i may need a rebuild!
Any thoughts on this guys????

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Cold seize happens when the piston and cylinder heat and expand at different rates due to not enough warm-up time on a very cold day or different metals used to construct the block and the pistons. I know wiseco pistons a prone to cold seizing because they expand quicker than the block... Did u warm it up enough or run aftermarket pistons?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How far down the piston can you see when you remove the Valves? If you can see pretty far down you would see the seizure marks. If the sides of the pistons look ok you should be fine. Throw a compression tester on it and see what you have.

Besides I don't see how you could have cold-seized - you're running OEM stuff all around and you let it warm up enough. If it seized you would have seen a sudden drop in R's soon after take-off.

Bryan

·
Registered
359 Posts
That doesn't sound like cold seize, and obsessed hit the nail on the head for you

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]How far down the piston can you see when you remove the Valves? If you can see pretty far down you would see the seizure marks. If the sides of the pistons look ok you should be fine. Throw a compression tester on it and see what you have.

Besides I don't see how you could have cold-seized - you're running OEM stuff all around and you let it warm up enough. If it seized you would have seen a sudden drop in R's soon after take-off.

Bryan
You were there i tought we had enough warm up time and it wasnt all that cold, also and as far as i can see the pistons and rings looked good! I think this new guy at the dealer is freaking me out??? But i cant test the compression until i fix the power valve cover i broke? As for that coolant i think i found the problem no clamp on the little hose going into the cyl. head.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ya like I said I think we had enough warm up time. Good thing you found the coolant leak.

Yes, I think the new guy is freaking you out. I don't believe the conditions, procedure, or symptoms were correct for it to be a cold seize. One of my old triples would have cold-seized before your new AC, that's for sure.

I'm 99% sure that it was just your valves not opening all the way. I believe they've been dirty for a while and adding that new pipe made the problem more noticeable. You said it was just a loss of RPM's and power - no engine burbling or funny noises.

Your plugs looked perfect, but we can't see your wash. Do you have any extra jets? If you do I would bring them with next weekend. It's going to be really chilly up there.

Is there anyone else at the dealer you can talk to - maybe your usual mechanic?

Bryan

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With out bringing it in they think clutch weight got stuck open or dirty valves? or possibly servo motor or apv wires?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Could be a stuck weight. I didn't ride it, so I'm not sure. How much are they willing to do for free?

Take a look at the clutch (if you can - I'm not an AC guy) and see if you see any worn spots on the weights, flat spots on the rollers, or if your bushings are loose. After you get the valve cover you can throw it on a stand, mark the drive and driven with a magic marker and see if you're getting full shift.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will do most for free! I couldnt see anything wrong with the clutch but i couldnt get it off even with the clutch tool. plus it was freezing out so i didnt mess with it all that long. I have to pull it anways to knotch the weights for higher engagement! Then it will really rip off the line!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Since you have a week and a half before your UP ride I would go get the cover, put it on and just bring it over to them and have them diagnose the problem. But keep it away from the guy that said you cold seized.

Bryan

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
how far low are you on rpm's? cold seizure is that the pistons stick and the motor locks.

could you be off on clutching? overely jetted?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its down jetted from 380s to 370 mains. should run about 8200-8300 fell to about 7700 and all the way down to about 6400 for a couple seconds on the tach. Sled never stalled all the way out and fired right back up after shut down. low end seemed fine before and after i noticed the problem. While i was checking how dirty the power valves were i cracked the cover and havent been able to fire it back up yet. I recently put on a d&d single pipe and can (any thoughts on that? D&D Says leave the stock jets. Plugs looked perfect Light brown.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
did you bleed the oil system and put some oil in the tank? how do the bores look in through the spark plug holes? sounds like a possible scoring?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as i can see everything looks clean and brand new down the cylinders? After talking to the big dog at Route 12 A.C. he thinks it was the valves says the sled will fall flat on its face if their dirty and has not had many problems with my motor at all. I also found on further investigation that the vacuum hose from the motor to the fuel pump looks pretty shot and has some cracks in it. Think this may have something to do with it?? As for oil, its getting tons. Sled drinks oil like its stranded in the desert!!! If its not so cold tonight ill look better plus bruce tells me i can run the sled with the cracked cover no problems with compression it might just get a little dirty. So im cleaning the valves putting it back together and see what happens??

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i got the valves all cleaned up put the new cover on and boom shes pulling 8840rpms on the stand,Right where it should be, the valves open on time and very smooth now! I got to get it out on the lake now to see how its running on snow. Should be fine now.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it out and tested! Runs great! I didnt get to test top speed though. I was on the trails and the fastest i saw on the speedo was mid 80s with more left in it! Thats geared for snow-x,

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^stock clutch spings as well???? (black)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Question about Cold Seizing:

I recently entered a local Ice Drag competition, and I noticed a sled that turned in a top speed of 124 mph in 800 feet. The crazy part is that the sled was dragged up to the starting line (not running, and not warmed up). The cord was pulled to start the sled and the sled took off about 4 seconds later.

Isn't that extremely bad for the engine??? Cold seize comes to mind...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
^^^ maybe it was warmed up before the race? not sure about that one maybe it had very hot hot pistons that warm up like extremely quick so they couldnt let it warm up or it might over heat and blow up? maybe it was a ski-doo and the rad was broken so they took their chance and ran it real quick with no anti freeze? not sure just throwing things out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts