Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a question for all you car mechanics out there.

I've got a 93 Subaru Loyal AWD wagon. Last winter when ever I went to start it first thing in the morning, I'd turn the key and there would be nothing for about 3-4 sec, then it would turn over and start. This delay grew longer as the days went by and it would only happen when the engine was completely cold.

Over time the battery started failing, so I'd charge it and it would be good for a week or so. Eventually I ended up having to replace it. Then all was fine. All has been fine the entire last summer. But now that its been cold in the mornings again, I've noticed that the dalay between turning the key, and the engine actually turning over has returned. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Bad battery again? Altinator?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain as much as possible. Thanks.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think you problem is the starter, have you tried a block heater to warm the oil and make it easier for the starter to turn the motor over, also what shounds do you hear when you turn the key and there is the delay?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Could your battery connection to the starter-seleniod be weak enough that it won't trigger it for a few seconds? Do you hear any clicks or any sounds while holding the ignition over? Or maybe your ingition relay switch is bad? I'm just throwing out possibilities... Test your battery, make sure it's fully charged, the starter should be fine if it's new, if it still fails to start in cold weather than you've definitely got an electrical problem or even a short somewhere. Could be anything then...
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. No, when I turn the key there is no click or any sort of sound during the delay. Then suddenly the engine turns over like it normally should. The battery is less than a yr old, and I assume the starter is the original. Like I said, this only happens during the colder months. It didn't do it all summer, but has started again in the last couple of weeks. If I drive to a store or something, turn it off and restart it, it starts without delay what with the engine being warm and all. Stupid car.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
837 Posts
when you turn the key to start is there a click, if not i think you starter solinoid or starter relay has wateri n it it sound like it is iced up and thats the problem

·
Registered
187 Posts
Being an old mechanic retired it sounds like your cold start injector system is not working properly, I would check with your local dealer before spending alot of money on everything but your problem. I hope this helps I have a 1983 bmw 320I that had the same problem and it was the cold start injector.

wm.j.williamson

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My knowledge on car engine systems is a bit limited, but is the cold start injector you're speaking of the same thing as a throttle positioner? I had to have the throttle positioner replace about two yrs ago. The car is fuel injected and in order to start it when it was cold (even in the summer), you had to pump the crap out of the accelerator in order to get it to start.

I hope its not the same thing, because I remeber the dam part was like $350 or something.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts