Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got spark, fuel, clean carbs, clean jets, oil pump's new and workin, fuel pump's new and working, compressions 120 in both cylinders and i can't keep it running unless i prime it. Please somebody give me a light of hope here! Is it a seal i cant see? Bent shaft? Something in the crank case? Head gasket? I've checked everything! Im about to just sell it for $400 just to get it the hell outta my garage!

· Registered
2,659 Posts
daddyjackson83 said:
I got spark, fuel, clean carbs, clean jets, oil pump's new and workin, fuel pump's new and working, compressions 120 in both cylinders and i can't keep it running unless i prime it. Please somebody give me a light of hope here! Is it a seal i cant see? Bent shaft? Something in the crank case? Head gasket? I've checked everything! Im about to just sell it for $400 just to get it the hell outta my garage!
DUDE! we don't know what sled it is, so how are we supposed to help you? All you have told us is that you have thrown a whole bunch of new parts at it hoping to fix the problem, but not actually know what is wrong with it is the real problem your having.....You need to identify what is wrong first before throwing new parts in to try and fix the problem.

For an engine to run you need three things, fuel, air, and a form of ignition. You have all three, so your next step is do you have compression, yes you have 120 in both cylinders. Ok now, it won't run unless you continue to prime it, I would be looking into crank seals or even worse a cracked case that is causing an issue of fuel escaping somewhere causing a need for more fuel. To test this get some starting fluid and have someone spray it around the crank case as you keep the engine running, if the engine revs up then you have an issue with seals or a crack cuz it's sucking air form somewhere. If the engine doesn't rev up then you eliminated that possiblity.

You don't have to start a new topic all the time, just post in the old one you started before and we will help you the best we can.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my bad. I guess im not as familiar with how to do things on this particular forum as you are. Considering you have almost 2000 posts and i have a wopping 24. Not to be an a$$ but i've tried before to just post on an old topic of mine but nobody seems to reply because its an "old topic" and arent a priority so they dont get checked constantly. No, i didnt include in this post what sled i have because honestly im getting extremely frusterated with this sled, as any common man would. Like i said previously, i dont mean to sound like an a$$ and apologize if i do. The sled is a 95 ski doo mx z 440 l/c. Hopefully that helps things. Thanks

· Registered
566 Posts
dont worry about it man its prolly somthing dumb like a vacumm line or somethin

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, im hoping so! Id hate to have to tear this thing down to the motor mounts. Most likley gunna have to though being i've replaced all the little things already. Its gotta be a seal somewhere. Still taken suggestions though. Haha! Im gunna let the sled sit for a week or two so i can calm down. I have a horrible temper!!

· Registered
566 Posts
ya when shiit doesnt go right with my sleds i loose it way quicker than if i was working on my trucks

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, heres the low down. When i got the sled it was in a million pieces! i've now finally got it all back together. Almost everything on its brand spankin new(externally that is). I havent split the case or anything yet, i figure take care of the little things first and see if it fixes the problem. So far its gotten abit better but not yet up to par. Before replacing the old fuel lines i was having a major problem with the fuel system. I replaced the lines and the pump. Now im gettin fuel to the pump and from the pump to the carbs, thing is its as if the fuel isnt gettin through the carbs and into the cylinders. So my thoughts were that the jets were clogged. I've cleaned the jets/carbs and im still not gettin the right amount of fuel. When i do get it running via primer i can use the throttle abit. It bogs to beat hell for the first 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then after that it runs superb until it starts starving for fuel again. Its very sparatic. Sometimes it'll run descent with just the throttle after ive primed the carbs and sometimes it boggs and dies right away unless i feather the throttle and primer simultaneously. Apparently theres a vacuum leak somewhere. My question is what could it be and whats the best way to test for a vacuum leak. Is there an easy way to do this by myself? If its not a vacuum leak then what other possibilities could there be? I wanna do all i can now to figure this out before i start tearing this thing down completely. Also, while im typin i might aswell mention the oil dripping from the exhaust. It smells like a mixture of burnt oil and possibly a hint of gas. Perhaps there is a bad gasket internally. Im wondering if theres gas being sucked into the crank case somehow and thats why the fuel system is lacking the vacuum to push fuel through to the carbs properly. Just a guess.

· Registered
566 Posts
how did you clean your carbs and are you sure you have propper jetting. may wanna take the carbs in and have them put in a vat for a deep thorough clean

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the carbs completely apart, removed all jets, sprayed in carb cleaner then blew'em out with an air hose. The guy that i got the sled from said he had just put new jets in before i bought it from him. Like i said though the sled was in pieces when i got it so maybe he put the wrong size in. Who knows.

· Registered
566 Posts
just a thought always good to check what about your fuel and air screw settings my edge acted up like that to it run and sputter and die had to big of jets and the fuel screws were almost all the way out and the way your talkin of having oil and low fuel drippin out the exhaust my sno pro did that when my vacumm line for my fuel pump came off the bottom of the crank. idk what your elavation is but id check them too so good luck

· Registered
46 Posts
From what you are describing it sounds like it is in your carbs. It sounds like it's jetted way wrong. When you replaced your fuel lines did you do the line, and pick-up in the tank. If so that would eliminate fuel lines. Fuel pump is new and that eliminates that. If you want to check it, verify that the impulse will hold pressure (4-6 psi) indefinitely. Also check the impulse line for cracks. I'd pull the apart again and make sure you have all the right jets.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya, i've replace all the fuel lines including the pick up and even the impulse line. Its gotta be in the carbs somewhere. I've cleaned them about 4 times now, thats why im so frusterated. I'll have to check the jets to make sure there the right ones. Anybody know exactly what size should b in them? Or the best place to check for that info?

· Registered
566 Posts
whats your elavation or elavation you ride at and then you can hop online and there are plenty of site that can help

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.