Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Now that my 81 Trailcat 440 is almost ready for snow,
I have been wondering about the primary clutch on her.
It is a Powerbloc, and seems to work OK,
but my dad put on a Comet 108 EXP on his '87 Panther last year and he loves it.
The Powerbloc is OK for low HP sleds, but hardly at all tunable.
Is the Comet that much better than the Powerbloc?
Would you spend the $450.00 to upgrade this $1500.00 machine?
Can the 108EXP be put onto something else later, like a Polaris?
Opinions please.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well im not sure if its available for your sled or not, but i wouldn't upgrade to the 108-exp...personally i would move up to the 102-C (also made by comet), The only difference being that the 108 uses 4 cam arms and the 102 uses 3 cam arms (or weights). For that old of a sled, i would say that the increased tunability from the 102 to the 108 is negligable. I would say the 108 is almost a race type clutch and the 102 is a great trail clutch. Plus the price difference between the two would be enough for me to stick with the 102.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i think the 102 would also be a better choice...idk if it would fit on ur polaris though...not sure on that one

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tri & B1,
I don't know how I overlooked that clutch in my parts catolgue, that 102 looks perfect.
Talking to my Dad about it last night and I had forgot how he came to have his 108, it's a really funny story.
3 years ago he bought his latest ride, an '87 Panther long track, and I mean long, it's 10 feet long from skis to snow flap. Anyways, it had a brand new Comet Duster on it, and when he got it it didn't have a fuel shut off, so he proceeded to mount a bracket onto the chaicase bolts to hold the shut off.
Unbeknownst to him, the bracket was touching the brake rotor.
Took the sled up north on his yearly moose hunt, put an 800 lb toboggan behind his Panther and away he goes. About 5 miles up the trail, he starts to smell plastic melting, he lifts the hood, and the plastic weights in that Duster had liquified and were running out of the clutch like honey

His assumption - peice of crap Duster can't take the heavy load, so when he gets the sled home he promptly goes and buys a 108 EXP, that should do the job. I went with him on the test ride, and we stopped after only a couple miles to check everything, I was parked on his right side when he lifted the hood, and the brake rotor had a 3/4' ring of glowing red metal...........
Problem solved.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The Comet 108EXP is still a 3 tower clutch. ToU you are thinking the Comet 4 - PRO as the 4 tower race style clutch.
I've decided to try that on my Yamaha rebuild this year. I hear the 4 tower is a little bit of a pain to set up initially but once you have it, it's da bomb. Let's hope that's just an expression.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
So many little
things I thought I was gonna get hypnotized when I opened this topic

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help all.
I might just give this Powerbloc a second chance and get the correct spring for my machine.
But when the snow flies and she doesn't perform up to my expectations I'll put on a 102.
Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts