Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else had problems with comet clutches? A couple weekends ago, my brother and i were riding and we just got back to the trailhead when his comet clutch actually blew apart in his '99 Summit Highmark 700. He had a lexan hood that has a big hole in it, same with the bellypan. He called the company and they said they're gonna pay for everything.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Only problem i've had was a broken spring. It was so rusty, i can't tell what color is was, and we still haven't gotten the correct one yet. That was on an older ski-doo formula, but it never blew apart like yours. Sounds like yours was defective. I'm glad to hear they are paying for everything. $$

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All he had to do was send them pictures of the sled and pieces of the clutch (what we could find of it) and he just got his new clutch yesterday. It was so loud and it scared the hell out of me, because we were almost to the truck and it looked like he hit a land mine.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I really have never heard anything too great about comet clutches. There is nothing wrong with them I guess (Except when they blow apart) but they are nothing special.

I know that comet weight bushings fit in Polaris weight bushings, which is nice.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a scanner and I'm not the brightest with computers or i'd show you some pics. If you're ever in Montana stop by and i'll show you :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Skidoos don't normally come with comet stock do they? Why does this sled have the comet on it and which model (3 or 4 post) Just curious.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Comet, hmm. I am not knowledgeable in the clutch area. Do any Polaris sleds use these? A friend of mine had his clutch blow apart on him with his old sled, a 1999 XC 600. It just plain broke and flew apart. They guys at the sled shop couldn't believe what they were seeing. I think he got a new clutch for free.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
62 Posts
my uncles sled had the same thing happen, it was a 1991 440 sport,he was riding and bam, the clutch just shattered and when it did that it busted his jack shaft and nailed his other clutch and busted it up 2, so since he only paid 1500 for it he traded it and a other one he had for a 600 rmk.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This season my buddy's '99 zr blew a clutch and a large piece of the spider shot directly forward, came through the belly pan and put a big ding in the aluminum spindle. there is quite alot of force in a spinning mass like this...remember that whenever running a sled on a stand with the guard open. And, don't spin them without a belt. the clutch can smack together and shatter right now,POW!!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
506 Posts
usually if a clutch flies apart it's because of faulty parts or fauly assembly, but clutches are one of the things that mechanic have to learn well. if you think about how fast those parts are moving (I did the math once) when a sled is revving out at 8000rpm, those weights are moving at over 2000fps, that's faster tahn bullets from some guns, and the weights weigh far more than most bullets. So ya, they can be very dangerous, but there's not much that can be done about it.

ya, comets are generally pretty good, I know that polaris uses them these days, and they have since 1986 (when they bought the old JD patents), and most others use clutches that are very similar to them (yamaha YVXC clutches are heavily based on the old comets).

anyways, ya, there's some info.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ummm, kindof mechanic, kind of just gearhead, my uncle runs a yammi dealership, and I've been hanging around him and his race team since I was like, 3, put a sled together out of the box when I was 4 (me and my dad), and ya, I started racing myself this season, it's been awesome. I've also been working at my uncles shop as a mechanic for the last year or so on holidays and stuff.

anyways, ya the math isn't to hard, just measure the distance from the middle of the clutch to the weights (that's what usually lets go) usually around 6 inches, then run that thru the circumferance formula (forget it now, have it written down somewhere) then multiply by yer powerband rpm to get the number of inches per minute, then divide by 12 to get it into feet, then divide by 60 to get it into seconds. after all that it comes out to roughly 2000 fps if memory still serves.

so ya, that's the math, and ya, I'm kinda mechanic, kinda just a gearhead that's been doing this as long as he can remember.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
also, as a point of interest, Im 17, (everybody on the circuit calls me junior, hence the name)

·
Registered
506 Posts
hey, did you get your home comp working again? it's late for school, if ya did, good job.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I think my comps seen the end of it's days, so I've been using the school computers. I get in trouble because I'll skip class to go in the library to type on here, and if you live in Minnesota or out there with everyone else I'm an hour behind you so when it's 4 out there it's 3 here and I'm still in school. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
actually it's in ontario canada, I'm right near toronto

1 - 20 of 22 Posts