Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.......this is a little long but here it goes. OK, I have an Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 right now, its long track with 2" paddles, and I love it.......BUT.......I am thinking about going with a smaller machine. I am a small guy (125),
, and i enjoy riding somewhat playful (didnt know what else to say).......and I think a lighter smaller sled would work out maybe better for me. Right now, I love jumping and cornering, and just playing around, and I am getting a lot better. But with my current sled I can do all that on but, it can sometimes seem big. So here is my big question:

I dont know a lot about some of these machines so I need your help. I havent looked into it much yet, i am just considering for now. I have thought about something like a Polaris 440 PRO X, RMK 500........or something like Skidoo Summit.....500. Like I said, just ideas. Even other brands like Arctic Cat or Yamaha. I am leaning towards Polaris or Skidoo on this though....i like the look a lot of there smaller machines (thats not my reason though). And I am also thinking about short track, but I do MOST of my riding in the mountains.......so that brings up my question of how would say, 2" paddles on short track stack up against a long track in powder? Since the short track would be somewhat of a lighter machine too, I am wondering if that would even it out as to where it isnt at a serious dissadvantage?

I am kinda all over the place, so forgive me, hehe.
I'll admit it, I am kinda fond towards AC, cause thats all I have ever had since I have rode.....but I am already leaning towards other brands so. OVERALL........I am asking everyones opinion on what they would recommend on a lighter type machine, somewhere in the cc range of 440-500/583....and short track. And i know people have there brands they are a little (OR A LOT) loyal to, so try not to let it factor in, in your answer....I know......but truely think about it, what would be a great machine for what I have described? I am thinkin there should be a couple that are just great, then I would have to just make a final desision.

Anywaysss, thanks guys.......i would just love some comments and suggestions/opinions, all that good stuff so much! THANKS! later!

'99 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600

·
Registered
266 Posts
The new mountain cats are pretty light. Mountain riding,short track,Idon't think so.You could think about putting a long track kit on a 440 sno pro.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
You want light? Go with a AC F5. The EFI would rock for you too because no more carb adjustments for the altitude either. I think that would be one of the most tossable sleds out right now. I don't know about the exact weights of the ski-doo REV's but I think they are close to the cat's as well.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You said you are getting used to riding your machine, so i personally wouldn't drop much in engine size. Although, a SnoPro or 500 with VES are pretty close in HP to your 600. I think just about any of the new Mt. machines will be lighter in wieght. Every year they try to shave wieght off the machine. Your's is around 500 or more lbs. whereas the new 600 Mt. Cat's check in at 478 lbs. according to AC. The new RMK's shaved some weight as well. I'd say go testdrive one that you are interested in. Be sure it has the power you need.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by intendedacceleration:
You want light? Go with a AC F5. The EFI would rock for you too because no more carb adjustments for the altitude either. I think that would be one of the most tossable sleds out right now. I don't know about the exact weights of the ski-doo REV's but I think they are close to the cat's as well.

[/quote]
the f5's aren't efi, just the f7's.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The f5 or f7 would be great, same with a mountain cat......but i have to go with a used machine, I just cant buy a new right now......college student. Yeah, like i said the 440......i think they got some power but the machine I first started out with was a 583, so I dont want to feel underpowered....my friend has a Skidoo 500 short track and it has some good power, he seems to do just fine.....he rides mountain with us.....how much would it cost to take a short track to a long track?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
on my sled it was right around 500 from polaris, but i'm not sure if it had EVERYTHING to do the conversion. whatever the case, that should be a good ballpark.

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I wouldn't drop too much in engine size. I would stay with at least a 600 in my opinion cause when you feel you need 'more sled' you will have it. I know that you can always hold off the throttle but you can't add power to a 440 when it is already maxed out. If you are just looking ot lose weight I am looking at the weights of 99 polaris mtn sleds and the Trail RMK is 458lbs, RMK 500 is 491, the RMK 600 is 496 as is the RMK 700. Just trying to help out.

It's not how fast you go, but how much fun you are having.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by xc racer:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by intendedacceleration:

[/quote]

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

[/quote]

You are right....my mistake!!! Thanks for catching that!
the f5's aren't efi, just the f7's.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
and the reason i am told as to why they aren't efi is because with efi the cost would be too close to the f7. that's what the local dealer claims, is that the reason?

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you've answered your own question. You want lighter, You want Arctic Cat, You want long track, and you can't afford new.
Sounds like you need used Sno Pro with long track kit.

There are plenty of used Sno Pro's around and some even have 600's or 700 kits already installed. I've ridden 2in short track and they do OK, Better than 1in. track but they do trench out alot.

Do'nt know where you live but there are always tons of Sno Pros for sale cheap at HAYDAYS swap meet in Lino Lakes, Mn. every fall. www.snobarons.com

I like light weight sleds also so I ordered F7 with 151in Kit 140 H.P. 1nd 435
lbs.

Quit Yer Bitchin, Your Mama 's Not Here and I Do'nt Give A Shit!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that would be great but I live in Alaska sooo....its not lookin good to be able to get out there. I live in Oregon for college....but thats still a ways away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK. Well you could try www.snowest.com , go to fourms then swap meet and there are lots of sleds for sale and a couple were in Alaska.

Quit Yer Bitchin, Your Mama 's Not Here and I Do'nt Give A Shit!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts