Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to college for sale's and marketing and have a sales presentation coming up. I am going to be working at a Ski-Doo shop over break so decided to do the sales presentation on ski-doo sled so I could gain some knowledge of the sled before I started working at the shop. I was going to compare the Ski-Doo renegade X 800,Crossfire 800, and Polaris 800 switchback assualt. Are these the closest comparable sleds, or is there a more comparable model the Cat and Polaris match with the Ski-Doo. That is my first question for you guys? My 2nd question is what are some key persuading points the Ski-Doo has that the other sleds do not? Or what are things that make the Ski-Doo better?

I have just started the assignment and will be collecting some product brochures when I go back this weekend, but figured this would be a good place to start on things the Ski-Doo has and what to compare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i would use the cross fire 800 snow pro and poos highest model just be more fair. and good luck finding out what doo does better. only thing i can think of that is not just a opinon is the weight. doos are much lighter,and have the best power to weight ratio in that class

·
Registered
863 Posts
the new 800 etec should also have very good fuel mileage for the bigger motor aswell.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Something could be said for the advancement that skidoo has always seemed to have over other sleds, the REV XP chassis coming out and being the crazy-best at the time. Weight reduction, forward-rider balancing.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
The Rev xp chassis is also not as strong as the crossfire 8/assualt switchback. However ski doo has their etec engines, which are some of the best motors on the market.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Rev XP will take a beating like a champ, trust me I know. The true crossover doo is the renegade backcountry. Compare the adrenaline and the X against eachother.
Compare engine packages, shock packages, weight, power to weight ratio, electrical, skis, track. Just get a lot of informaition, there sites have spec sheets which should be a good start for you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys this is exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone know where I could find spec's for the Crossfire. I cannot find there weight is the main thing. I also noticed that the Ski-Doo has a 16x137" track, I'm sure there is a benefit in doing this since they did it but why would they use a smaller track when the Cat has a 141 and Polaris a 144".

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ski Doo renegade X : 451 lbs
Polaris Assault : 457 lbs
Arctic cat doesnt post their weights..............

The Assault has a 144" track too (more weight), doo's is only 137.

I'm not sure why they went with the 137. Shorter tracks will handle better on trail. I think they have a 146 too, i remember last year they had a hundred different packages for each model, maybe the longer one didn't sell as well so they didnt include it. Since the doo track is 16" wide it actually may have more surface area than the assaults. So it probably floats better, but the assault will probably boondock better.

The assault will be the closest sled to compare. And the sno pro is probably closest just because the renegade x is the top of the line one.

I think the big thing that doo has going for it is the new 800 etec something like 155hp, polaris' old 800 made 154 but not the new one. If i was you i would focus on engine and efficiency more than anything.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BskidooC said:
Rev XP will take a beating like a champ, trust me I know. The true crossover doo is the renegade backcountry. Compare the adrenaline and the X against eachother.
Compare engine packages, shock packages, weight, power to weight ratio, electrical, skis, track. Just get a lot of informaition, there sites have spec sheets which should be a good start for you.
That is what my original idea was to compare two ski-doo sled. I talked to the teacher though, and we are selling to a retail/wholesaler so I will be acting as a Ski-Doo rep selling to a dealer. The reason I chose to do the crossover sled is because living in the midwest I figured this would have good points I could make about riding trails and going west. That is the doo I decided to compare to the other sleds is the Backcountry X, vs Crossfire 8 Sno Pro, and Switchback Assualt

I have a good start on the project now. Like you guys suggested I am really focusing on the t-tec and its efficiancy/power to weight, and the Rev xp chassis weight and forward riding.

If anyone knows the Cat's weight I still have not found that. Also any more input will be great.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I havent found too much on the weight of the cat. From this link: http://www.snowgoer.com/output.cfm?id=1215379 They weighed an 07 crossfire 1000 at 540 lbs. So maybe 520 lbs for an 800? The chassis is pretty much the same. That's dry weight too.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
to be a good debater or sales person you need to know your product. but to be great is to know the competition as well.

if you want to sell and market the ski doo, you have the etech engines, you have the light weight.
but lets say you are selling the yami against a ski doo. you can skirt the weight thing by bringing the weight to the trail. a heavier sled can handle a lot better on the trails. or becuase of suspension changes yes the sled is heavier than the others but handles just as good. or you completely avoid it and talk about no oil needed and great gas milage.

sales and marketing are just transfer of your knowledge and opinion to someone else. its your opinion that ski doo is a great product. so how are you going to sell me on that idea? knowledge! if you know every detail about the competition as good as you know about the ski doo, it will be very easy.

you have the customer there they ask you about the engine. since you know the hp curves of the cat and polaris, there dyno numbers, some real world results. you can simply say things like " well ours dynoed at x hp while the polaris is only at y hp. or we have a wider hp curve than the cat so it makes it a more usable trail friendly engine." things like that.

ski doo did a wonderfull job of selling the 800 etech engines. before the etech was release they let people think its going to be a 20 mpg engine like the 600, and use basically no oil. the end result is a 12 mpg sled that uses slightly less oil. doesnt matter, pretty much every etech they sold to a brand changing customer was buying it because they were light wieght, etech engine.

you want to work in sales and marketing at the skidoo, pick up every piece of litature they have, learn every spec of every machine, then do it to the other brands.
when i worked for dodge/chevy for a short time, in the dodge sales manuals they had a page were if you are trying to sell x car you go to there book, and it shows where there car is better than specific competitors. you learn them points, you bring them points up. chances are the customer has looked at the other brand. you make them glad they didnt buy that other brand.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bames said:
Ski Doo renegade X : 451 lbs
Polaris Assault : 457 lbs
Arctic cat doesnt post their weights..............[/color=darkred]
The Assault has a 144" track too (more weight), doo's is only 137.

I'm not sure why they went with the 137. Shorter tracks will handle better on trail. I think they have a 146 too, i remember last year they had a hundred different packages for each model, maybe the longer one didn't sell as well so they didnt include it. Since the doo track is 16" wide it actually may have more surface area than the assaults. So it probably floats better, but the assault will probably boondock better.

The assault will be the closest sled to compare. And the sno pro is probably closest just because the renegade x is the top of the line one.

I think the big thing that doo has going for it is the new 800 etec something like 155hp, polaris' old 800 made 154 but not the new one. If i was you i would focus on engine and efficiency more than anything.

neither do fat chicks....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Skidoo is advertising 155+ h.p. ratings on the E-tech, while third party dyno testing is showing 160+ h.p. ratings. Just thought you would like to know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ski-Doo-Summit said:
Thanks guys this is exactly what I am looking for. Does anyone know where I could find spec's for the Crossfire. I cannot find there weight is the main thing. I also noticed that the Ski-Doo has a 16x137" track, I'm sure there is a benefit in doing this since they did it but why would they use a smaller track when the Cat has a 141 and Polaris a 144".
on the cat site there are spec sheets. the cat has a 141 with 2.25 or 1.5. the skidoo weighs 26 pounds less i beleive off the top of my head next to the cat

and by web site i ment paper brochure which i can no longer find but just go to a dealer and get the book

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think we were pretty close on narrowing down which crossovers to compare. SnowGoer, did a comparison for the top-of-the-line 'hybrid' sleds. They used the 2011 AC Crossfire 8 sno pro, ski-doo renegade backcountry e-tec 800r x, and polaris 800 switchback assault.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know a web site or have a link or something I could find if Ski-Doo sales have been increasing or decreasing? I have googled it and not came up with anything, I'll keep lookin and let you all know if I find something.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm also wondering about the suspension of all of them, how do they all compare. Is Arctic Cats fox float shocks alot better than Ski-doo's KYB's or Polaris Walker Evans? I have all the specs for how much travel they all have but in all reality how do they all compare. Also the way I understood it Arctic Cat doesnt use a spring? And does Polaris use a spring or just shocks? Any info on this would be great I'm not real knowledgable on this part.

Startin to get at least the typed part of this assignment wrapped up just wondering these last few questions.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK this is something I guess I never noticed. So the shocks they are using are air shocks, such as like race quads use. And main benefit to this as I'm seeing on cats site is that they are lighter? Other question is, why on cats site on the rear suspension does it say "forget torsion springs".... What are they using instead or whatever?

When all is said and done who has the best suspension, and why?
Whats all the hit and misses on all the manufacter's suspension.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 41 Posts