Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy is looking at getting a 76 Chevy C30 dually with a 454. Has 360k miles on it mostly towing so it needs a bit of a rebuild. only thing that is known to be wrong is a sticky valve. I figured strip it to the block then have the heads cleanedup, planed, and hone the cylinders or maybe just bore it like .030 over. Get a rebuild kit and put it back together. Anyone had experience with anything similar? Just time consuming I am guessing. My buddy wants to build it into a street truck. Tuck some big as drag radials inside them dually fender wells and lower it a bit.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sounds like you already know what to do. Rebuilding older chevy V-8's are fairly easy and straight forward. You could check out some books or other reading material that show you step-by-step how to do it. Fun project.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
you have the right ideas, planning the heads will ensure they are true, as well as raise the compression a tad, and since you got the heads off, have the shop check the valves, seats, springs, valve guides, etc etc. depending on how true the cylinders are, boring isnt necessary, but if they are tapered bad, and out-of-round, then bore it, also check the tops of the cylenders, you will have to ream the ridges. one thing to remember, rebuilding a big block costs more than a v-6, 4-pop, or even a small v-8, so be prepared to spend some loot. also, have the crank check, that is if yo dont plan to put a new one in there,

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would just go with new high performance heads and cam. i have rebuilt many motors before and its fairly easy to rebuild chevy, you can get a good set of high flow vortec heads for about 480 bux and a good cam and lifter set for around 120 bux maybe new rings and honed cylinders it would run great, or you could bore it over and run some light keith black pistons, whatever you choose you can email me for info [email protected]

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah a thought was new heads and cam. Definetally will put a performance cam if we do it but I don't think he wants to spend the money on heads. I have to talk to the kid. This was all suppossed to be with money for his graduation(he graduated this year) but he hasn't come around looking to do it lately. I got a real hankering to build a high performance 350 powered S10. If he doesn't want to do that I may go to a junkyard and get one and build myself an off the street(aka no title and completely street illegal mods) for strip racing. Doubt I will though, just another dream/idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts