Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Couple questions, but first let me explain what I have done to my old but new to me toy.

Rebuilt the top end of the triple, the engine was never apart before and was like new inside. All that was wrong was the piston rings were worn, so I changed those and the needle bearings on the wrist pin and any associated gasket to doing that.

Once that was done, I cleaned the carbs noticing that the jets were different sizes. But this is correct as stated on the cab, but I didn't keep track of where the larger one was. I put them together from Clutch -> Magneto: Jets 400-400-420 on magneto side, is that correct or the other way around?

Then I syncronized the carbs and cables using my mercurry sync kit, engine runs great and idles perfect etc...

Then I had to buy a used Drive Clutch as mine was cracked, this drive clutch is off a 700 triple. This I beleive is where my problem is, for some reason on trails with a bit of powder/hard packed it picks up and goes and works great. But as soon as I hit the powder it bogs and burps and spits and sputters (hope you get the point :).

I am very new to sled repair and tuning, anyone have any ideas what I could check and try? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You put the main jets back correctly. As far as the bog goes it can be so many things. I think you are probably right that it is a clutch issue because thats the only thing different from before. Did you use the wieghts and springs out of the storms clutch? On second thought coughing and sputtering sounds like carb or electrcal problems. Try to be a little more specific in your description of bog. what throttle position. Hard on the throttle or easy. does it recover and run well. what do the plugs look like. Also I dont get your last comment on the above post.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Snapits how is your belt? Sounds to me like you have a worn out belt. Your belt should be nice and tight. When the sled is just sitting take a look at the secondary clutch the belt should be above the edge of the clutch about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. If it is not put a new belt on and that should take care of your bog. If a new belt dosn't bring it up on the secondary you may have to remove a shim from the clutch. A loose belt is like taking off in second gear and will cause a bog. Good luck Riley

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would have to say you put the main jets in backwards actually. From what I've learned PTO side gets the bigger jets then on down.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If everything else looks good, try tightening up the secondary spring. It will keep it from shifting too fast. How does it run in minimal snow conditions? That sled should rip. Did you use the spring and weights from your old clutch?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Agree with hotrod.., definitly pto side is richer. After 99 they ran the waterpump the opposite way. My guess is the light 700 weights are in and your shifting out too fast in the powder. Either put the 800 wieghts and sping in, or start to stiffen the secondary. I'm not sure what the stock primary configurations are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for you support!!

I got it fixed to find a new problem, first I will tell you what I did.

Well the spedo cable went, so I figure I would change the small primary one and when I got it apart... Surprise!! no bearing left on the drive shaft at all!!!

Maybe that was the bog, but it hadn't been wearing long.

Also the driven clutch was well put together wrong, it was way to tight. I am guessing the guy who fixed it at the shop twisted it the wrong way when putting the snap ring back on.

Tried it out in the powder and it runs like a charm...

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts