Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My son bought a 1994 Polaris Indy Touring 500 and it seems very sluggish.
The clutch engages at around 4500 RPM and that seems high to me.

Additionally, the compression measures 100 with the left jug and 105 on the right. Is that too low? Could that be the reason that the snowmobile lacks power? The mileage indicates over 11,000 but I'm not
sure how accurate that is.

The guy my son bought it from said it ran fine when he bought it and that it was well maintained. He was selling it because he never drove it and it had been sitting around without being driven for a couple of years.

Any ideas?

thanks,

david

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
yes that is rather low. 120+ is where you want to be at.
however if it has been sitting for a couple years, make sure you have fresh gas in. also, clean the carbss (especially the pilot jets)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
compression is on the low side, but with them being with a few psi of each other id say its no biggy. as said, replace fuel, and plugs. 4500 is not bad as an engagement rpm. but clutches could be kinda stick from sitting. also check airbox for a possible blockage(mouse nest) if the sleds sit sometimes they like to move in. could also check exhaust for same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I thought that a compression of 100 might be a bit on the low side, but I couldn't find any figures to compare it with. With the engine having 11,590 miles on it, it's possible that the damned thing is completely worn.

Is there any way to raise the compression without doing a ring job? I'm wondering if it would even be advisable to re-ring with an engine that has that high of mileage on it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i would exhaust all other possiblities. if its not hard starting id doubt its caused by compression loss. it is at the top of its life span with that many miles but ive heard of the motors going over 20,000 miles before repairs. and i personally know of one with 13,500 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts