Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got home from being on the mainland for 2 weeks. Before I left, I shut down my computer and unplugged the power strip from the wall. When I got home, I plugged back in the power strip, and hit the power button on the computer. The lights come on but it doesn't do anything. I hold the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on. It starts to start up (the Gateway logo appears), but then the screen goes black and says "no signal" and that's as far as it goes. Tried turning it off several times and nothing. All I get is "no signal". I got it to start in safe mode a couple times, but then it won't start up again for 6-8 times turning it off. I know nothing about computers. The computer is about 6 mo old. What is wrong? motherboard?

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've unplugged and tried it several times. It will start up further after I unplug the power strip for 5 min. (just short of the password screen) Otherwise it will only start up until the logo appears, then shut off. It will start and run fine in safe mode, but not in normal mode.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of that too, but it was a good 2-3 hours after it shut down that I unplugged it. I dunno??? I think I am going to bring it in to the repair shop today.

· Registered
4,063 Posts
Dont waste your money at a repair shop, find a buddy that knows something.

If you can get it in safe mode try a system restore. Could be a corrupted video driver that tried to auto update and is now conflicting.

Do you have onboard video or a video card?

Just had a similar situation on my Gateway, turned out to be a bad HDD.

Try a safemode sys restore and report back. If all else fails you can pop on an OS disk and do a recovery. All your documents SHOULD stay there, all updates will be lost and you will have to run windows update afterwards. No garuntee on getting your documents back as you should have backups but those two methods are USUALLY pretty safe.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
srx_600 said:
Dont waste your money at a repair shop, find a buddy that knows something.

If you can get it in safe mode try a system restore. Could be a corrupted video driver that tried to auto update and is now conflicting.

Do you have onboard video or a video card?

Just had a similar situation on my Gateway, turned out to be a bad HDD.

Try a safemode sys restore and report back. If all else fails you can pop on an OS disk and do a recovery. All your documents SHOULD stay there, all updates will be lost and you will have to run windows update afterwards. No garuntee on getting your documents back as you should have backups but those two methods are USUALLY pretty safe.
You just lost me there. ha I know NOTHING about computers. I don't know anyone here that works on computers. I brought it in and they have to ship it off to California to get it looked at. [Disappointed] What a joke. 2-4 weeks I'll get it back.

· Registered
4,063 Posts
Shipped to California? Maybe i should move out there and start my own business[8D]

Future reference:

Safe mode is achieved by tapping F8 until it starts, then choose regular safe mode.

Once windows starts you will notice its pretty primitive looking. Click start>All programs>accessories>system tools>system restore. At that point choose your date you wish to restore to.

System rescue is achieved with an OS disk, once it is loaded go to the rescue option and follow on screen instructions.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried starting it up with the last normal settings. That didn't work either.

· Registered
4,063 Posts
Problem is with that, once you click start normally or whatever those good configuration files are lost to the same corrupt ones preventing you from starting it. You kind of have a one shot deal at that which is why system restore is nice.

· Registered
2 Posts
My thought would be from something as simple as video card drivers needing installed to either needing a new video card or hard disk drive (hdd). Installing new video card drivers is absolutely free if you can get ahold of them on somebody else's pc and transfer via usb flash drive or disk, install them then in safe mode. New video card can run 20-400 dollars depending on what kind you want and what you plan to use the computer for. New hdd would run ballpark like 60-120 dollars I'm thinking depending on the size you prefer. My first attempt at a cheap fix though would be to either use the built in recovery partition if the hdd still has it, or pop in the "system recovery disk" if it comes that way, essentially it will erase everything from the computer and start you fresh as it was the day you bought it. From my experience, it's usually something simple and cheap to fix, but beware of computer shops jacking the price up and telling you everything that's "fried". The laptop I'm using a buddy gave me and stated it would never work again so I got it free, cost me 80 bucks for a new screen for it and an old Gateway copy of vista I had laying around ;)

· Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my computer back finally. They said it was the video card, which is part of the motherboard I guess??? So I got a new motherboard under warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.