Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what I think is an incredible deal on an IQ Touring sled.

Question:
How easily can this be converted back and forth from "touring" (two-up seat, backrest, etc.) to a more cross-over, trail/off-trail sled?

Reason:
Sled would be mostly driven by me (looking to move up to an IQ), but want the option to take the wife along if I can talk her into coming out in the cold.

Data:
-Touring sled already has a longer track, power etc. to haul two people.
-Can't afford two different sleds for this purpose.
-What do you think I would need to change to go back and forth? Seat, adj to susp, clutching, etc.?

Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The first thing you would want to do is to upgrade to a better off trail track with maybe as much as 1.25" lug. Don't go any higher than 1.5" or you will have tunnel cleareance problems and the trail ride will not be as smooth as it could be. Also Touring sleds tend to have a less aggressive track design since they are primarly ran on groomed trails and the shorter lug lengths mean less noise on the trails. I say a more agressive track with a bit of a paddle type design would really improve the sleds performance off the trail. As to other things maybe upgrading the shocks to a heavy duty type such as Fox shocks and upgrading the rear skid to this. http://www.jokersracing.com/content-product_info/product_id-16325/polaris_iq_mountain_tamer_back_suspension_kit_timber_sled.html
If you are willing to spend several hundreds of dollars on after market upgrades you really improve its of trail abilities yet still keep the benifits of it 2up abilities when crusing the trails. Luxury high performance touring is were its at today. Look at some of the pricy touring sleds being made by the four snowmobile manufactures today. With Clutching you could change your primary springs for a higher engagement and this will improve your lauch but if you go too agressive it will not work as well on the trail since the clutch wil be disengaging and engaging more often and trail riding is best enjoyed when your clutching allows for low speed engagment and smooth power transfer to the track. I would only change it to a slightly more spirited engagement and not too much so you can enjoy a great touring switchback type sled.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts