Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how difficult of a process it is to convert steel skies on a 1996 storm to plastic skies. I was told a conversion kit is needed, but I am not able to find any information on such a kit or where to buy it. Can anyone recommend a good, cheap [:I] plastic ski? I also have brand new carbides (3 studs) for it, but will they fit a plastic ski? Am I better off with just ski skins?

On a side note...I am a little leary to take the carbs out and clean them, so can I run a half a bottle of carb clean though the gas to clean them...there is nothing wrong with how it runs, I am thinking as more of a maintenance thing.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The ski conversion is easy, if you buy aftermarket skis they will come with the saddle you need. If you are trying to put the Stock Plastic Polaris skis on you may need a different spindle. I have purchased SLP, C&A, and Simmons skis and all were a direct bolt on.

As for the cleaning of the carbs, assuming you either ran the carbs dry or used stablizer in the gas you should be fine just running some seafoam through it. I would still recommend taking them off and cleaning them by hand. It is very simple to disassemble them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Plastic ski's are by far one of the best upgrades you can make. The reduction in unsprung weight makes the suspension work much better and handling is improved beyond expectations. You can get C&A's for around $300 and they perform much better than the plastic poo ski's. Don't bother with the install kit its a waste of money IMO. Just buy standard polaris ski rubbers and purchase the correct bolts from your local hardware store thats all thats in the install kit. C&A's are are a direct drop in replacement and i'm sure all other brands are as well. With C&A's you don't need alot of carbide either due to the agressive keel, I run 4" carbide with 96 studs and the sled still oversteers when pushed to the limit.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
As other have already said, it is a direct bolt on accessory. I went with SLP SLT skiis on my '97 XLT and they came with the skiis, loops, saddle, and new mounting rubbers with all the bolts. $275 with everthing. SLP, simmons, C&A, etc..are all good skis and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Concerning carb cleaners...I use Techron Carb Cleaner in my bikes and snowmobiles. 1 dose at the beginning of the year, and 1 dose at the end of the year. I have yet to need to pull my carbs on my '97.

[edit] here is a picture of my SLP's on what I assume is a similiarly styled sled:

/snofan/../images/users/pigboy/island21lake.jpg

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya when you buy the skis make sure they come with the brackets, they are normally included, and they are very easy to put on.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
the only way i can get carbids fot my sleds plastic skis is to buy a pair to fit the factory ski. cut off the bolts mark on the carbide where they need to be, weld them back on paint the weld and bolt on to the ski.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by madd_dog
[br]the only way i can get carbids fot my sleds plastic skis is to buy a pair to fit the factory ski. cut off the bolts mark on the carbide where they need to be, weld them back on paint the weld and bolt on to the ski.
Thanks for the info guys...really helpful! Now what's the deal with this carbide problem...Can I just drill a hole in the plastic skies to get it to bolt on? This is seem odd that the plastic skies do not accept carbides...do you have to buy the carbide from the maker of the plastic ski?

Ray

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
If you buy aftermarket skis you will order them with carbide. The ones you have might fit, they might not. For instance the Simmons skis are a dual carbide ski and have a different bolt pattern than stock. If you order these the carbides you have wont fit. They might however fit on the C&A's or the SLP's...

I have never heard of someone having the problem madd dog does.... Why cant you get carbides for your plastic skis Madd Dog?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
its an aftermarket race ski basicly. the guy used it when he ice raced it. i can get them but i have to call Ont. get them sent down. y do that when i can go to polaris get a pair for cheaper n all i have to do is cut the studs off n weld them back on with our welder

·
Registered
133 Posts
Every carbide mfg. makes carbides for C&A's, inc. stud boy and woody's. I would not drill holes in your new plastic ski's to make existing carbides fit.

G

·
0 Posts
Take a quick look on E-Bay for some skis. I sold a pair of plastic skis off my 2001 RMK that would have bolted right on your sled. I also bought a pair of Polaris side-hiller II skis on E-Bay that bolted right on my RMK. I have seen several pair of plastic Polaris skis lately on E-bay.

D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3632419754&category=26354

I found those on eBay...seems like a great price...why would they be missing wear pads?

Now nobody bid on them...ok?? [:)]

Ray

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
If you get factory polaris plastic skis they should be a direct bolt up..

G

·
0 Posts
I don't remember for sure but I think I paid about $150 for a set of 2003 side hiller II skis. I sold my 2001 plastic skis for around $125. I think just about any of the factory polaris skis will simply bolt right onto your sled. The guy I sold my skis to put them on an Evolved chassis sled. An XLT, I think. They come up on e-bay pretty often, keep looking. I don't think the ones you show as listed on E-bay right now are factory polaris, but all the manufactures make a kit to fit any number of sleds.

D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts