Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Had another question on my 93 polaris XLT sp 600 triple. I recently completed a coolant system flush and refill. My service manual is a bit vague and the pictures are pretty terrible but it shows a bleeder valve on the top or side of the water pump. I don't see one and the schematics for this pump don't show one either.

Is there a way to bleed this system with a bleeder some place else? Or do I cross my fingers and hope theres no air in the system lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I own an ultra, and have drained and refilled the cooling system numerous times... I simply lift the front end of the sled.. so it is a at least 1' higher than the rear... usually on a snowbank... or on a "jack-all" or stanand... I remove the lid from the coolant bottle, and cover it w/ a rag.... On the ultra motor there is an air bleeder screw/bolt on the coolant rail that runs across the top of the motor supplying coolant to the cylinders.. Not sure about the XLT it is a monoblock design motor... look on top of the motor where the coolant would enter for a screw/bolt...

I start the sled w/ it lifted & monitor the open coolant bottle for bubbling & checking the heat exchanges to see if they are warming... also squeeze any accessable coolant lines & check them for pressure & temp... @ the same time i am lightly "reving" the motor. I intermitantly open the bleeder screw on the coolant rail & check for pressure..... I do this until I am satisfied that the coolant is flowing thru the system properly.

Its vital to get the front end up so any air in the system can rise... and escape thru the open coolant bottle, or bleeder screw/bolt.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the monoblock engine is why nothing is matching up in my service manual. I'm thinking the air is out system. I jacked the front end up 8-10 inches so any air would flow up towards the front, started it for a moment and shut it off. Then I gently rolled the sled on its side with the side of the motor with the water pump towards the ground. In essence it allowed all the air that was trapped in the water pump to flow upwards to the filler neck. Again topped it of with coolant, started it and revved it for about 5 minutes. I'm confident it worked seeing that the heat exchangers were getting warm.

However if anyone knows where a bleeder would be on this style of motor I'm all ears. It was a little too much like work rolling the sled around :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think the 93 XLT has a pressure relief lever on the rad cap.Run it with the rad lever open and that will get rid of any air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts