Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 1996 XLT with about 3000 miles on it. I just bought it from a cousin of mine and everything seems to run out fine on it. However, in the few miles i have been able to put on it this early in the season i have noticed leaking coolant coming from the top of my overflow tank. After taking it for a ride, long enough to thouroughly warm the engine up, i open the hood when i get back and notice coolant all over the foam above the coolant tank. I am not sure what is going on i realize there isnt enough snow yet for the heat exchangers to work effectively, but i still dont understand why coolant would be coming out the top of the tank. The levels all seem normal when cold so as not to be over the max fill line. Please give me your suggestions i just dont want to cause any major problems with overlooking this abnormality. Thanks.[;)]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
dont know how muc snow ya got, but if there isnt much this could be a problem, not enough to cool the coolant and overheating. doesnt seem to smoke any? if its a head gasket it should start to overflow pretty quickly after startup.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How much coolant is in the bottle when cold?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
See my post in this thread.........Replace the $5 check valve first before doing anything else.
I'll bet a case of beer it fixes your problem.[:D]

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55388

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
are you sure its not the coolant cap itself. Could be also a bad head gasket that will throw some pressure in the system and will allow the coolant to get out from the bottle cap!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I had that happening to my sled last season. A quick change of the head gasket got me back into running condition with no more bubble over. But check the check valve, the caps first, and proper coolant levels first.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just a side note......A '94 Xlt doesn't have a head gasket. It has o-rings.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
^^^^^^ correct, if he needs to replace, I just didn't want him coming back saying nobody makes a head gasket for that sled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks i appeciate the comments so far, however i hope i dont have to change either head gaskets or "O"rings --anyway if this was the case what would be symptoms. I mean i dont have any white smoke or performance problems that i think would be associated with antifreeze getting intothe engine. Also i have taken you up on your bet, i just ordered the check valve and hope it does the trick. So, just to clear this up i should replace the check valve, and maybe elevate the front of the sled and try to get all if any air trapped in the system some how. Should i just run the engine with cap off, any more suggestions and advice would be deeply appreciated. I want to be ready for snow--Northern MN were next baby.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Correct on elevating the sled and letting it run with the cap off.
You can check the old valve by blowing into it hard. You should only get air movment one way.
You should have NO air movement in one direction. Mine was barely noticable but was causing a problem.

If it should happen to be the o-rings, they are fairly easy to do even for a novice. I could walk you through it and I have the torque specs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts