Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the mixture of the coolan/water for my 94 Polaris RXL 650 triple. I usually buy the premixed stuff but it is very expensive and I thought about mixing myself. Will any rad fluid do or is there something I need to buy that is made for sleds?

Thanks

Sherriff

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Any automobile coolant will work. My Polaris manual says to mix 50/50 with water.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just do not use Dexcool and you should be fine. Pretty much every anitfreeze situtation will call for a 50/50 mix. I buy the pre-mixed now, just easier.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sherriff I see you must have gotten the RXL back together. I just started doing a crank job on a guys 92 650 Indy. The sled looks mint but every bearing on the crank is shot. I guess that's what you get when you don't fog your your motor when storing it for the summer. Good luck with the RXL Riley

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use the Embittered antifreeze (the red 5 year stuff) at a 50/50 mix. It's more expensive, but a mechanic friend of mine tells me it's far superior than the normal green antifreeze.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To me, antifreeze is antifreeze is antifreeze. As long as it doesnt freeze and allows the engine to get up to operating temperature its fine, right? Its not a performance item. Mix at Fitty/Fitty

·
Registered
312 Posts
60/40 ,, those premixed ones you buy are usually 60/40 ,, during the cold winters up here in Canada ,, 50/50's almost not pure enough to were it could almost turn into slush or even a little ice packs.
I know of some guys that are almost running it pure ,, but these last 4 weeks havn't gone under -30 ,,,,,,,,-38 last night -47 with the wind. So 60/40 i think would be minumum , but all depends on weather i guess

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good point, Acadian... 50/50 is more than enough here in South Central Alaska. If it's below zero, I'm not too interested in riding and only a true emergency (like running out of beer at the cabin) would prompt me to ride in -10 F or colder.
Mix it for the temperatures you ride in, Sherriff, all the antifreeze jugs have charts on the back of them so you can determine the proper ratio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I run 60/40...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah i just got off the phone with one of my buddies and he did mention to me that most people up here in this area go with a MINIMUM of 60/40 due to the constant change in temperature , like 0 to -35 can happen over night here,,,,,,,, so like i was saying ,depending on were your at and the temperatures,, but if your running less then 60/40 out here ,, then your looking for problems

·
Registered
190 Posts
Dexcool is a newer blend of ethylene glycol anitfreeze engineered for longer coolant life and reduced cooling system wear. Don't pay extra for Dexcool unless specified by your manufacturer. Just as important as your ratio are two things.

1.Regardless of antifreeze type use distilled water for the mixture to prevent corrosion from the water. Same goes for batteries, in a pinch use filtered, not spring water.

2.Buy the $5 measuring tool to test the ratio of the mixture in the machine after first use. Unless completely drained, your adding 50/50 to an unknown ratio. The tool will tell you what temp the machine is protected to.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I think ya'all covered it very well but for the record, I mix the green stuff at 70/30. Not sure why, just always have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts