Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my sled out for a good run, can I put any anti-freeze for cars, I cant see any coolant left, so when I add some do I need to gurgle it. (front 3 feet in the air etc.)

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know there might be a leak but I don't know yet, how high should I fill the tank with the gas shut off valve on it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
isnt there a line on the tank that tells u how high, ur manual should also tell you how to properly add coolant...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would Motorvator, in the yellow container work.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As magnaman mentioned you need compatibility with aluminium engines.

Car antifreeze has silica in it to keep motors clean. This in time will wear away at parts in your sled. I use Honda antifreeze for bikes. So far so good.

CD

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any specific type that is cheap, and I can get at a UAP NAPA store, or Canadian tire etc. Are there any that you don't have to mix.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I be able to buy it premixed at any auto store.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
John Deere pre-mix. That's what I always put in my old sleds, never seemed to be a problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
never in my life have i seen such a drawn out discussion about such a simple solution....but hey....what do i know????????

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by magnaman
[br]never in my life have i seen such a drawn out discussion about such a simple solution....but hey....what do i know????????
WTF?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coolant is important considering they sled is liquid cooled, if you don't put enough anti-freeze it will freeze, if you put to much it won't flow right, if you put the wrong kind (not compatible with aluminum) there is a chance of blowing you motor, it may seem simple but in the long run not knowing much about it can be a bit expensive.
Does the mixture have to right on, I chose to go with a 60-40 mix, 60% anti-freeze, and 40% water.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
everyone I know uses 50/50 and nobody has ever had a problem. Most people around here use farm stuff, usually John Deere, and nobody has any problems.

·
Registered
129 Posts
scuse me....geuess i got a little carried away...hope i didnt offend anyone...sorry...long day...i was pooped. yure right atifreeze is important....most peoplep reccomend yu do not exceed a 60/40 ratio....50/50 is just fine...ive also heard that gm dexcool is not good for a aluminum engine....sorry bout the cocky comment...im usuually much nicer!!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guy's, i've got it mixed, and i am ready to go, all I have to do is put it in. (I'll be busy today, it will take me all day to do that.) I really need something to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts