Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty basic question here... I just purchased my first liquid cooled sled. It's a '96 Pantera with the 580 EFI liquid cooled engine. What kind of coolant do you guys run in there? Can you just dump in some Prestone or is there anything special it should be running besides a mix good for -45 below or so?
I didn't get any books with it and failed to come up with that question when I picked it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I've heard you should mix some water in with it, not sure on the ratio, heard its 50:50. Maybe someone else can varify that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by XCRacer440
[br]I've heard you should mix some water in with it, not sure on the ratio, heard its 50:50. Maybe someone else can varify that.
Yeah, 50:50 is about the right mix for a car... I was more curious I guess about type or brand. I know GM's use different coolant then Fords for example. Dexcool. Just curious what sleds typically use? If the green stuff is alright or?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i but the pre-mixed and it works wonderfully, as far as brand goes, we usually get the cheapest and it seems to work.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Use any brand of green antifreeze and mix it 50/50 like a car. Dont use Dexcool that stuff is garbage!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I was the regular green stuff and mix to a 60/40 ratio.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Use any stuff made for aluminum radaitors. You can use the pre-diluted stuff also.

Don't run dexcool, that crap will gum up a systems in no time. I don't know how many sleds I have seen with oranage sluge in them.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You and me both xcr440, not sleds though for me. My past two vehicles both had Dexcool used in them before I owned them. Had to pull both radiators and have both boiled and rodded.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
My dad works for a dealership and the dex cool has made him lots of money in parts.

It is fine for 2-3 years then it breaks down and get gooy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts