Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to use snowmobile coolant or can I use an auto grade? Should I mix with water or use it straight? Thankx in advance.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I use the stuff we pour in our tractors, from John Deere, never caused a problem. We use that stuff in cars/trucks/tractors/combine/sleds/4-wheeler

basically everything, so I don't think auto stuff would cause any issues.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't think there are any special coolants for snowmobiles, most call for a high quality ethylene glycol antifreeze. Mix it in the ratio recommended by the sled manufacturer, probably around 60/40.

TIPS:

- use distilled water, it will reduce corrosion.

- using more antifreeze isn't better, antifreeze doesn't conduct heat as well as water.

- don't use the orange coolant (GM DexCool), it has a tendancy to turn to sludge when mixed with regular (green) coolant.

- make sure you properly air bleed your cooling system.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck
[br]- don't use the orange coolant (GM DexCool), it has a tendancy to turn to sludge when mixed with regular (green) coolant.
What's the difference between green and orange anyway? I thought that it was just a different color so they could charge more for it...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I believe the orange stuff is silocate free. I use it in my Magna for reasons I no longer remember, other then I'm supposed to.

http://v4honda.ironcreek.net/

·
Registered
528 Posts
Orange "DexCool" contains nitrite.

Green coolant contains silicate.

Orange coolant is usually "DexCool", I believe that there was also an orange factory fill coolant that Chrysler used that wasn't DexCool.

DexCool has a different chemical inhibitor package than regular coolant. It can turn to a brown sludge when mixed with even small amounts of regular (green) coolant. When the two types are mixed there is also a potential problem with aluminum corrosion.

ONLY use "DexCool" when recommended by the manufacturer, GM and Caterpillar both use it, I think GM started using it around 96/97.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Wow, I never knew any of that. I'll keep that in mind. I think my friend's truck has orange stuff, he wanted to dump green in on top of it, and we advised him against it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes only use orange in G.Ms and always mix your anti-freeze. Pure anti-freeze will freeze! It has to really cold but will freeze, mixture is about 60-40.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Definitely use distilled water and no more than 60% anti/40% distilled. I use the 5-yr Texaco stuff and have had no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts