Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 polaris indy ultra and it's running hot when i'm in the powder and cool when on hard packed snow what is going on here!?!?!?!?!?![galleryattach=14134]

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
when its in powder your track is turning hard and keeping the rpm's up to be able to go and not bog down.. on hard pack you can cruise along without you sled working as hard...also when riding powder make sure your vents arent clogged with snow

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what my dad told me
but there clear i changed the coolent still the same

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Could it be the Thermostat?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
just read your other post and saw that you got a 2.5 inch paddle... thats probably not helping you either.. your sled is running hard just to turn that track and with those lugs in powder shes working hard.. have you though about going with a 136" extension and dropping the lug to 1.5?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thermostat was fine the oners manual said to check that

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we just put the stock track back on till we can find out the problem it's just sitting right now and it snowing I WANT TO RIDE BAD

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^^^^Lets just hope your sled is running good before you start riding for a long time in that snow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there something with the coolent i have a 50/50 mix or should it be strait

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^Nope it shouldn't be straight, you did it right.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Irts completely normal to run hotter in deep powder. The sled needs to work A LOT harder to just keep moving. 2.5" paddle is a lot of track for that sled to be pushing thru the powder. A 50/50 coolant mix is perfect.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Gear down in your chaincase for the bigger lugged track. More track makes your clutches slip and not work as effectively as they should. In deep snow you are working them and your engine that much more.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would guess that in the deep powder your getting less cool air in the front vents plus the engine is working harder to keep moving. Hard pack = more air and less work. The mix in your coolant would have no effect on running hot or cool provided it's full and your coolant pump is working properly (the anti-freeze does just that- keeps the coolant from freezing in the system). I would check to make sure your coolant pump belt is working As well as the pump itself.

Remember that water cooled sleds use both cool air as well as cool antifreeze to prevent overheating.

How are you determining that it's running cool or hot? Do you have a temp gauge? Is your hot light coming on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts