Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I JB welded my heat exchanger on the indy 400 because it had a tiny pin hole in the front of it. What a crappy job to do. Anyways, I hooked everything back up and added coolant to the reservoir and the block via neck. I started it up and added coolant as it needed for around ten minutes until I thought it was all aired out. At this point the heat exchangers were still not hot or warm. I took it down the road and got maybe 150yds until it revved up and I thought I heard a pop (probably in my head) so I hit the kill switch. It seemed that the engine was really hot, though, as I do not think the coolant was circulating through the exchangers, it was just staying in the block. So I pulled it home and I looked at the plugs and everything was okay - it started and ran fine. I am thinking that coolant got on the clutch and the belt slipped.

So my main problem is that the coolant is not circulating through the heat exchangers I do not think. Did I not burp the system properly? I did not have the sled angled at all, would this cause the coolant not to circulate properly?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You have an air bubble somewhere in the cooling system You need to elevate the front of the sled and let the air bubble work itself out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the_hog said:
You have an air bubble somewhere in the cooling system You need to elevate the front of the sled and let the air bubble work itself out.
Okay, would that cause the heat exchangers not to warm up?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, well at least I know my problem! Do you think I did any damage to my engine by driving it?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Probably not, did the engine start running bad? Probably just got a little heat soaked. If you have the patience I would enpty all the coolant out. Fill the bottle full run it until it's empty, turn off your sled for a moment fill it back up start it again and repeat. Elevate the front end while your doing and you should be set. Sure fire way to remove any air bubbles and make sure everything is proper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Empire087 said:
Probably not, did the engine start running bad? Probably just got a little heat soaked. If you have the patience I would enpty all the coolant out. Fill the bottle full run it until it's empty, turn off your sled for a moment fill it back up start it again and repeat. Elevate the front end while your doing and you should be set. Sure fire way to remove any air bubbles and make sure everything is proper.
It didn't start running "bad" it just revved up really fast due to the (what I think was) antifreeze on the clutch belt and the motor was quite hot to the touch so I turned it off and dragged it back home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts