Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct procedure for starting a Polaris XLT 600? Do I shut off the main fuel supply when starting? Is the choke on the entire time or only for a couple of pulls? Is the throttle cracked open? I think that I am not starting it correctly and flooding the engine. Thankx.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
what I would do: Cold start... put the choke on, and pull, when the engine bits, and trys to start, turn off the choke and pull. If you still get nothing, put the choke back on until it trys to start then turn it off again.... When it does try and start, I would grab the throttle to try and help it out. You may have another problem with flooding if your needles and seats are shot...

BTW. If your trying to start it now, and its warm where you are, you shouldnt need the choke at all.... Just pull, and squeeze the throttle...

·
Registered
777 Posts
if your having trouble starting it,and it has the original needles in ths carbs,change them to the viton tip needles,,will start much better

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Lmdski,

When my XLT is running correctly here is the procedure that I follow for starting. Turn on gas ( always turn off gas if you will be away for more than 30 minutes) choke on, pull 1-3 times. As soon as engine starts take off choke and let idle for a few minutes before riding. Over time you will be able to tell by the sound when your engine is warming up. If it tries to start take off choke and pull with some throttle. If you think it's flooded take off choke and hold throttle to bar while pulling. Make sure to let off immediately if it starts. Also if the choke is on do not touch the throttle as this circumvents the choke circuit and you have no choke. If the engine starts to rev way up while warming up turn the choke on momentarily to get it to come down.

As you may have guessed unlike some other sleds that can run on the choke for quite some time the XLT does not like to be choked.

Don't get discouraged though cause once you figure out the routine for your sled you will be able to get it started every time once you have it running right. Like everyone said, needles, seats, float level, clean fuel system, good gas, plugs, spark, check crank phasing, drain gas from block. Aren't these XLT's fun? But for those few days a winter when they run right it's all worth it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What, you guys don't like my procedure?

I thought there would at least be some other ways here. Or are you saying it's perfect? lol

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Your's is great, very detailed, mine is more simple. [:)]

Flip full choke, Pull, turn off choke and let idle. Unless it has been sitting all summer then it is Flip Full Choke, Pull Twice, turn off choke and let idle...[:)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks Darkstar,

I really am interested in how other people start their XLT's. I usually get mine going pretty easily (1-2 pulls) unless I mess up the sequence.

For example; It really doesn't like being choked with the kill switch down.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep mine doesnt like the kill switch down either [:D]

But yes only a couple of pulls with the choke on is a big one. To many and it will flood.

Oh and once mine is warm i never touch the choke

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
For my xlt when starting cold I full choke and pull 'till it starts or nearly starts. Typically this is one to two pulls. If it nearly starts, I turn off the choke and pull till it starts (with a little gas sometimes). Usually however, it will start on a couple of pulls with the choke on full.

The worst for me is when the sled has been sitting for say 15 minutes. It's not entirely cold, but no longer warmed up either. Because these sleds flood so easily, I always freak out and never really know what to do. I usually end up pulling a dozen times with no choke to get her going. In hind-site, perhaps a half choke is the way to go in these situations??

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Cold:

Full choke, pull 1-2 untill it fires, then immediately flip the choke off. If engine starts to fade, I blip the choke on and off real quick. This brings the rpms back up. I may need to do this 3 or 4 times untill it will idle on its own without any choke. I'f I leave the choke on while it idles, it will flood and die.

Warm:

Crack throttle slightly and pull. She roars to life.

As for the in between that your talking about pigboy, I guess I do a combo. If cracking the throttle doesn't work, then I'll flip the choke on, usually full, but snap it off quick as soon as it fires.

But hey, I've got electric start anyway so its much easier! [:D]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yah I know what you mean Pigboy. You're standing there going "to choke or not to choke". Cause you don't want to screw it up because:

1. You're Yammi (insert brand)friends are watching and their sleds always start right up.

2. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere

3. You don't want to get all sweaty and pissed pulling 50 times

4. It's time to ride

·
Registered
957 Posts
On my 680 triple... When Cold I gove it 2 pulls with full choke which usually causes it to barely kick over, then no choke and usually one more pull with a little squezze of the throtle and it starts right up and idles away.

When warm or even after sitting for an hour I give it a little squezze on the throttle and it starts with one 1 or 2 pulls.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris XLTSP
[br]
1. You're Yammi (insert brand)friends are watching and their sleds always start right up.
My friends and I have a running joke. You always count the number of pulls/kicks it takes to start something. Boat motors, dirt-bikes, snowmobiles, grass edgers, anything.

It's very important that I can start my sled on two or three pulls. Otherwise, you got some smart-ass counting in the background, 1-2-3-4...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ,thanks to everyone for commenting on this topic. I was getting very frustrated with the Polaris as it starts MUCH differently than my SKIDOO. The Polaris does not like the choke for very long. It tends to cause a flooding condition. I can now get it started within 2-3 pulls vs. the 20+ before. Thanks again,

LD.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my cat starts 2pulls every time inthe winter 1 pull in the summer i cant complain
summer no choke and winter half choke

·
Registered
331 Posts
My SkiDoo took a little while too, to figure out...it has a primer, and you have to open the hood (cowl) and watch the priming hose to see when you are actually getting fuel mixture to the carbs and then give it one good squirt, then it should start in a couple of pulls....there is no manual choke so that isn't an issue....but you DO have to pull the primer at least one more time and just bump it a little while it idles rough (cold starting) and just as soon as it evens out, you are set...only a couple of minutes. but lmdski, I understand, it takes a while to figure out the ideosyncrasies of our sleds....newer sleds have it a lot better, usually just choke it, and pull (or press the button) and youare all set, they just start right up, you take off the choke when warm and go...not like these older sleds.

(of course I forgot to add, the first thing that you have to do, is to check that the gas is turned on)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts