Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought i had the problem solved with the xc with the high idle problem but i guess not i started it up today idle at 4 grand i hit the gas a few times hoping it would drop but didnt so i shut it off. then started it right back up and idle at 2 and ahalf. whats up with this thing could it be bad crank seals i just replaces the hole top end pistons/rings and all. it just came back from the shop and when i went to pick it up it started at like 3500rpms and he said its ok too so im stuck on this still..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i would think a bad crank seal would cause to low of idle, because the lack of presure and fuel that should stay inside the engine but is bein leak through the seal

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
dodgetruck2 said:
i would think a bad crank seal would cause to low of idle, because the lack of presure and fuel that should stay inside the engine but is bein leak through the seal
Wrong. More air means higher idle.

Heres how you check it. Get a can of ether, start the sled, and make sure to test one spot at a time. First the seals. If thats not it, try to get under the crank case. Then the case seal. Have you checked the carb boots as well?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
i have yes checked the boots and is it ok to use parts or carb cleaner
Read the can, as long as it says "highly flammable" it should make the idle go up. Have you checked the throttle cable adjustment to make sure its not way too tight? Start with the simple stuff first. Why did u replace the top end? Did it burn down or just get new rings?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Luke said:
teamarctic14 said:
i have yes checked the boots and is it ok to use parts or carb cleaner
Read the can, as long as it says "highly flammable" it should make the idle go up. Have you checked the throttle cable adjustment to make sure its not way too tight? Start with the simple stuff first. Why did u replace the top end? Did it burn down or just get new rings?
i always thought that w/ the improper fuel to air mix it made the sled retard not idle higher, maybe im wrong..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
sledcrusher said:
dodgetruck2 said:

Heres how you check it. Get a can of ether, start the sled, and make sure to test one spot at a time. First the seals. If thats not it, try to get under the crank case. Then the case seal. Have you checked the carb boots as well?
o ya right, i knew that to, cause i have used the either trick before to find a whole my carb boots

·
Registered
707 Posts
im going through my sled motor right now due to a bad crank seal and it caused a low idle due to the fact that the cylinder on that side of the crank would not fire at idle because it didnt have enough vacume to suck gas through the carb but the either, or carb cleaner trick will tell you for sure if the seal is bad

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 small cracks on each side of the jug and the pistion was burnt the same with as the exhaust port so i dont believe it was running to lean before...hell i still rode it out till the end of the season bc i didnt know anything was wrong until i was just going to refreshen it up so i wont have problems but it seams like im having more now

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
bad crank seals make it hard to start a warm engine without choking it.
spraying stuff at the crank seals doenst always mean the engine will rev up, sometimes you will smell the exhaust get weird.

your high idle is not uncommon, when you start it up and it wants to idle high, flip the choke. it should bring the idle down in a couple moments. when riding the sled does it idle at proper idle speed? like other said, check throttle adjustments as well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I choke it and prime it 3 times as soon as the sled starts on the first pull I flip the choke off should I not do that

·
Registered
125 Posts
madcow said:
bad crank seals make it hard to start a warm engine without choking it.
spraying stuff at the crank seals doenst always mean the engine will rev up, sometimes you will smell the exhaust get weird.

your high idle is not uncommon, when you start it up and it wants to idle high, flip the choke. it should bring the idle down in a couple moments. when riding the sled does it idle at proper idle speed? like other said, check throttle adjustments as well.
X2 I have a 02 600 and mine has always did this.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
teamarctic14 said:
and if it was the cranks seals would it pop and back fire because it was getting air
yes it is possible at low speed driving when you hammer the throttle there is a chance you could get a slight bog then a pop. it would act just like lean pilot jets or needles.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sledcrusher said:
dodgetruck2 said:

I NEVER EVER EVER use ether on a two stroke the airasole on wd40 makes the same deal happen but ether is way to dry of a fuel source and if your not really careful or running rich you will take your rings out i did that with my rmk 700 started up on either lost compression fast .

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Open your fuel screws up 1/4 of a turn, that should fix it. If it still idles high, go up a size in your pilot jet. Polaris had the idle circuit setup too lean from the factory.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts