Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

First is anyone running their sled without the Swaybar? A couple of guys in our riding group have been cutting their sway bars out of various sleds. Theory being that the front will be independent. Obviously there are would have to be some downsides on the trail vs. the ditches. Anyone done this mod?

Second My 95 XLT sp has the 34mm carbs. Is there any advantage to swapping them out for a set of the 38mm carbs? I am about to put my tempa flow in but i figured if there is any advantage to going with bigger carbs now is the time to do it. Thanks in advance.

137 Days to happiness... The ground should be white by then [:D]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well alot of mountain riders up here remove the sway bar, less weight and the function of a sway bar in deep snow is pretty useless....as far as riding trails this would kill the corning of the sled, not to sure about ditch banging since there aren't very many ditches or people who ride them here. I guess it really maters on where you intend to ride the sled primarly....no help with the carbs since I'm not familar with XLT's, but you will love the Tempa-FLow!

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I have a RMK and the sway bar was removed by the previous owner, It isnt as stable when you turn but its better for sidehilling and powder.I might put it back on this fall and try it to see if I like it better with or with out, I do quite a bit of ditch banging and I think it handles fine..

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys,

I would think it would be better for ditch riding because as we all know the ground is uneven and has lots of sidehills. Hmm i guess i have a couple months to think about this one.

Tempa Flow will be going in tonight hopefully. I am the guinea pig. If mine ends up working out the rest of the group is going to buy them. If i find that upgrading to 38mm carbs is a good thing to do i will add them later since it should only require drilling one hole in one of the new carbs to hook the tempa flow up to.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I took the sway bar off my Tcat last winter. Much easier to ride in the powder and I didn't notice a huge difference on the trails. I would highly recommend doing it. Its a love it or hate it thing. I love it. I know a couple of guys who put it right back on too.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
On my '98 XCR I took the sway bar out. After putting on about 100 miles, right back in it went. It was good for jumping, because if you would hit a bump on the face with 1 side, it wouldn't affect too much, but cornering is terrible without it.

IMO anyway.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i guess until Minnesota starts getting it's normal amount of snow i will be leaving it in, since it sounds like it is most effective for deep snow. It really sounds like it will be a good thing for ditch riding but I am going to wait until it's my back up sled. Putting the sway bar back in is NO fun.

Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts