Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, my wife found the owners manual for the little 86 doo citation. Its a 253 single, electric start, and in the manual it states to NEVER run the sled without the battery in/hooked up. Oops Ive been doing that, starting it, running w/ track off the ground for 5-6 minutes, just to run it and keep fuel from sitting in carb. Ive done that 3-4 times since spring. The reason is the battery was no good so I took it out to prevent corrosion, and tossed it. Will it REALLY hurt it? As far as I can tell in the manual, it doesnt even have a stator. It does say (in wiring diogram) that it has a generator coil ignition??? And a lighting coil, amplifier, and regulator rectfier??? Will it burn any of these components?

Second,on my indys manuals it states to NEVER run engine without intake silencer foam. The one on the trail is gone, and the 400's is shotty as heck. But my old tnt didnt have anything but a velocity stack lookin thing that pointed at the crotch, no filter or foam at all. Please help, I really need to know If im killing these machines. Thank you sooooo much!!!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
IMO the only reason you should run the doo with out the batt is for safety reasons. If the batt is not hooked up and you run it, the positive batt cable is just hangin there with live power going threw it.(i think) If it has a generator system, i think that would supply power back to the batt for charging. kinda like an alternator. But it should not burn anything up.

The intake silencers are just for noise reduction coming back threw the carbs. no harn not running them.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
the foam on the airbox silencer is to prevent snow dust and other crap from getting sucked into your engine.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, all of that makes perfect sense. btw, I did wrap the pos. cable in elecrtical tape, then gorrila tape for extry toughness. I was just worried it would harm electrical stuff,god the book used text so big it took half a page so it scared me. As far as the trail goes, I will stuff some light foam in the airbox opening to keep out the crap, not to much dust in the winter though, maybe Ill just leave it alone--and if a little snow got in there, it really wouldnt hurt would it? Im sure it will bog around, but anything serious? I really appreciate all the help fellas thank you tons

oh now I see you wrote SNOW dust, duh

·
Registered
634 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
the foam on the airbox silencer is to prevent snow dust and other crap from getting sucked into your engine.
Ya that too. [beatup]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
well snow is just a different state of water, everyone knows water in the motor is bad. I wouldn't want to ever risk water getting in the motor, I'd stuff some foam in the airbox just to be safe.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well i should to then!! I ran all last year with out the foam in my air box[Disappointed]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
well snow is just a different state of water, everyone knows water in the motor is bad. I wouldn't want to ever risk water getting in the motor, I'd stuff some foam in the airbox just to be safe.
Yep,I took out a piston on the XCR a few yrs ago do to not having the foam on top of the air box. Got in some nice powder and suddenly my piston was steam cleaned and blowing metal out the exhaust.[beatup] Lesson learned about keeping the foam in place.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok copy that! I will be putting faom in it for sure then. I cant seem to find the o.e. foam anywhere, probably a dealer item huh? I can just make one I reckon

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I suppose there aren't too many used sled parts' hoarders like me or PolarisIndySKS out in WA, eh? If you can find some private party used part sellers on CL, pretty good chances they will have the foam for like 5 bucks. Otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to make one

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya its kinda strange hardly anyone is into sleds around here, then again this is a very small town. Last years gtaduating class had 12 kids, not a typo--12!!! And I cant find anything on line, or even another indy in town. So, I probably will make one, at least I have the 400's for a pattern. I will make 2 since the 400's is ratty. THat is if the bottom end isnt fried, still havent tore into it, been real windy/dusty. Thanks again!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh hey I just found where to get them, polaris parts warehouse its like 18 bucks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
haha dang, 12 kids?! I graduated with 12 other kids within an acre of my house. I think there was 760 total for my graduating class (2009)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep no joke, Inchelium is one itty bitty place. But it sure is awesome hunting/fishing/offroading/sledding/camping ect. I think I wouldnt be here If all that wasnt so abundant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts