Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a crack in my exhaust manifold on my truck. I tried using that manifold cement but that just cracks and chips off. The truck is fairly old and just a bush truck so i didnt feel like replacing the manifolds. Anyone have any tricks or products they know of that are worth the money and do the job good? i was thinking of using tin and wiring around the manifold maybe. just a thought

Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Might try using a header wrap, don't know if it will work or not but it seems like it would. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Temp-1-x-20-Coated-Exhaust-Header-Wrap-NRM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230abb4335QQitemZ150503899957QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_2872wt_939
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Might try using a header wrap, don't know if it will work or not but it seems like it would. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Temp-1-x-20-Coated-Exhaust-Header-Wrap-NRM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230abb4335QQitemZ150503899957QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_2872wt_939
That is somethng i was looking for....none of the automotive parts stores seem to have anything like that!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,279 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Is there some obvious reason no one is reccemending weld it?
Cast Iron is hard to weld, I know you need nickel rod to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
James007 said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Might try using a header wrap, don't know if it will work or not but it seems like it would. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/High-Temp-1-x-20-Coated-Exhaust-Header-Wrap-NRM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230abb4335QQitemZ150503899957QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts#ht_2872wt_939
That is somethng i was looking for....none of the automotive parts stores seem to have anything like that!!
Advance or some place like that should have it or at least be able to order it, if not, I have some white here, its brand new, i can see how much shipping would be to you.


RMK-KING said:
Dragon700 said:
Is there some obvious reason no one is reccemending weld it?
Cast Iron is hard to weld, I know you need nickel rod to do it.
Yeah and sometimes the heat from the welding can make it crack more. Plus if its old chances are its rusted on so welding wouldn't be advisable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
And to weld cast, you need an oven to keep the stock temp just right for a certain period. Usually ends up cracking again anyway. Takes a very gifted and knowledgeable welder to do cast and make it last.

New manifolds are not all the expensive if you can do the replacement yourself. Otherwise labor will eat you up as studs seem to always break off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i found something that works pretty good. Its quite hack but it does the job alot better then anything ive tried. Where the crack is i took tin foil, aluminum and hose clamps. Wraped a thick layer of the tin oil around the crack to act like a gasket, then cut a strip of aluminum the lenth of the crack and to fit all the wya around the manifold and tightened it quite a bit with hose clamps. works reallly well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
HAHA Crude but it is effective for a while anyway. I remember back in the day putting a bean can over holes in the exhaust pipe.

At least it keeps the fuzz off your tail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picman said:
HAHA Crude but it is effective for a while anyway. I remember back in the day putting a bean can over holes in the exhaust pipe.

At least it keeps the fuzz off your tail.
haha yeah. I can believe how good it works...I just need to find the other spots that are cracked, get to them and patch them up the same way
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top