Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience fixing cracked windshields. Its a 94 safari and it just cracked on the side, maybe 4 inches. What do you guys do to fix something like that? Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't had to worry about my windshield yet (I guess my old tundra doesn't go fast enough for that ... lol), but I have seen one repair that was done using rivets.

I am not sure how he did it, but if I was going to do the same I would take off the windshield and take it inside to warm it up, then clamp the break together at the edge of the windshield. Then I would take a piece of material (he used leather straps, but you could use a piece of an old windshield, etc.) and line it up over the break. After cutting it to size, I would then drill out my holes and throw some rivets on to hold it together.

If looks are important to you (my old tundra is more utilitarian), then perhaps using a clear piece of plastic (that old windshield?) and some adhesive would work better as a patch.

These guys on here are very good with suggestions so chances are they'll have more then a few good responses for ya.

Good luck on your repair.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ive seen people use clear wide packing tape, both front and rear it works ok, its best if the sleds indoors and warm when you tape though, also ive seen people cut there windsheilds down shorter too, good luck hope this helps, or you could always try to find a good used one.

·
Registered
614 Posts
First, what you should do is at the end of the crack drill a small hole. This will help stop the crack from growing. Then you can drill small holes on ether side of the crack about 1/4 inch away,and 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart. Use ether small tie-wraps or wire to tie the crack together . Hello Frankenstien's sled, ugly but cheap and easy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What Sleddaver described is what I've done, exactly, using small tie wraps. They'll last for a long time, too. For safety, when you cut off the tail, use a pair of scissors and cut it flush so there's nothing sticking out the back of the head of the tie wrap, because those babies are razor sharp & it would be unfortunate to do a headlight check on a jump or something and run your face down those.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I use wire nippers tocut the tie wraps, they cut them off flush, you get no sharp piece sticking out. You caa get them at Radio Shack, maybe $10.00 and they work great on your finger nails too, lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips guys! I drilled at the end of the crack to stop it and put some little screws and sheet metal on both sides at the edge to make it strong. Tie wraping the rest might be a good plan, but i think its strong enough, for now anyways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ez i have odne this many time, drill holes on either side of the crack then pu some zip ties tu it, then cut off the extra zip tie, it looks pretty sweet like a scar or stitches or sumth9in

1 - 11 of 11 Posts