Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I heard something funny today when I was riding my indy 400. It sounded like a cracked exhaust and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the y-pipe where it splits and goes to the cylinders. I noticed (maybe) some loss of power today, could this be why? Can I drive it like that for now until I get a new one or can I possibly weld this one? Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I really would not ride the sled with a cracked y-pipe...I replaced mine back in October when I saw a crack while getting it ready for the season.

The sled will tend to run lean (I think) with the crack...not good.

Yes, you will loose power with the crack.

They can be welded, but you will need to either tack weld it to something flat, or bolt it down since the heat will warp the pipe when welding...will not seal properly to the cyclinders when re-installed if you warp it.

I bought a new one....

Burch

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it was my sled I would buy a new one. Like Burch said if you weld it, it might warp

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you do not fix/repair you will run lean and burn it down. Soon after you will be tearing it all apart for a rebuild. Pull the Y pipe, install new one and replace the exhaust gaskets and go ride!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, in that case, I won't drive it. I actually have an extra one sitting around that I will install. How long does it take to blow the engine? I mean I drove it back from where I was when I noticed the crack (maybe 3-5km's), that didn't hurt it, did it? It was running fine when I parked it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Personally, I would not sweat it too much...

Burch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts