Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aright everyone i need some help, I have a 99' 670 HO, the hood has 1 or 2 good cracks on the right side, it is use-able because i fixed the cracks with some special sealant. But, there are tonnnss of spider cracks on the right side, left side if perfect! SO, do I sand it all down? get the ski-doo yellow paint and have a body shop paint it? buy the decals and slap them on? I know this is tonnss of work so I would like to get some opinions/tips/yes or no's on what to do. I'm sure many of you have had this problem, thanx a ton!

Ben
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
so many names faking me out lately with Viper in them :), thought I gaining friends, oh well welcome and say welcome anyway. As for your question I don't know for sure but that method sounds like it should work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, it definitely repairable. Anything is repairable. It just depends how much time and money you want to put into it. First off, I would get a paint stripper for plastic materials. I used to use a spray on stripper for plastic bumper covers, I cant remember the name, but its safe on all plastic. This would be the safest stripper to use on plastic, because some regular strippers for metal or wood will harm the plastic of your hood. You can sand it, but be carefull, you can sand to much in spots and the sucker will be waving to you from a mile away, its not metal like cars. You need to find out what type of plastic it is made of for a proper repair. There are many types of plastic (SIM, RIM, do do, da da, many types). Using plastic filler (Bondo), or fiberglass filler on plastic is a no-no. It may bond, but it is not going to last. Different expansion and contraction rates and different flexibility of the two materials means a repair thats not going to last long. Find a good body shop that plastic welds and your in. IF your hood was just fiberglass, no problem, easy fix, but its not. As for painting, its best to refinish the whole hood for color matching and just a better overall repair. If the crack is in an area where they can paint just a section and hide most of the blending under a decal that would work too. Once painted, throw on the new decals and your ready to look good. As good as a Ski Doo can!! Only kidding!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
167 Posts
if its fiberglass and it has cracks or is crazed or fractured chances are it will come back, sorry to say, some people just try to cover the crazed area with a filler primer and sand smooth then re-paint but this will last awhile and after time they will come back, for a bad crack the best way to fix is to v grind then roll in cloth and resin and and then fill with resin and ground cloth then smooth, i usally like to roll some extra material on the backside to strenthen the fix, if its no big deal id say live with it if you can i cant see spending money to repaint and new decals and it still may come back, if you planing to unload the sled it may be your best route, just my opinion, i got all my fiberglass experiance from working with corvettes and more corvettes, thats the aka "vetboy" whatever you decide good luck

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
167 Posts
got your pm tried to pm back and didnt work, so i can just tell ya here if your hood is plastic if you sand it with wet paper no heavier than 360, grit to get out the crazing the finish up with 400 wet paper then prime and paint you should be ok, on plastic i doubt the crazing will come back, but you must sand it all the way down to the plastic to get out the crazing, if you know someone with a body shop who has a random orbital DA, they could sand it with that and save you alot of work, most body shops would be happy to sand something like that out for a couple bucks, good luck

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts