Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M A NEW OWNER OF A 1997 POLARIS 600 XLT INDY. I WANT TO CHANGE MY CRANKCASE OIL WHAT OIL SHOULD I USE? THE SLED HAS 5000MILES WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO OR CHECK BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
chain case is what you mean , I usually use some synthetic light weight gear lube like 75w-80 some sled used ATF or there even brands like amsoil that have there own chain case oil

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums. First thing you need to do is turn your cap locks key off. Second, if you spend some time searching the forums will will find out lots of info on preseason how to's. Like stormrider said, its chaincase, don't use ATF, Amsoil makes a very good chaincase oil, even the OE Polaris stuff from the dealer is ok. You can also use a 75w90 gear oil ( synthetic preferred ). Couple of the big things to service are carbs, clutches, suspension & chaincase. Clymer manuals have enough info to get you by or if you feel rich, buy a service manual from the dealer, all kinds f good info. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
In case your new to the 2-stroke engine, They don't use crankcase oil like a 4-stroke does. If you are new to the snowmobile world, I suggest you get a owners manual and study it for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts