Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I know mine do and I think most of them do. What sled?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
On most Polaris sleds, there is 2 bolts under the exhaust Y-pipe on the crankcase. Just unscrew both of them to drain if you have to. Both my Indy's have the drain bolts.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Yes there are 2 bolts should be a 10mm head. #5 on pic.

[attachment=26615]

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, found them, drained and no difference. Have interesting problem. Pull a plug on one side and machine dies. Compression 124 on both, switched plugs and wire no difference, switched carbs no difference. Good spark, good compression, getting fuel and air. What am I missing?.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Are you saying that one cylinder isn't running?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
sound's like a vacum leak??

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by Dman
[br]Crank seal on the side that's not running....if I'm understanding you...

Dman
Bingo!
If the bad one is on the clutch side, spray starting fluid or carb cleaner down by seal if the motor revs up, its the seal.
The mag side is inaccesable to do this.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
those are there incase the crankcase fills full of gas ,can drain it that way instead of blowing the seals

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was gas /oil in the exhaust, thought that it was best to drain crankcase (as said above by Stormrider). Sync'ed the carbs, ran a bit better, still dies when pulling mag side spark plug. Sprayed around pto seal, no noticeable increase in RPM or perhaps a small increase?. Could there be lower piston (skirt)damage causing this? Any suggestions. [?] Thanks Cam

Just had it running with air box off, and through the carb on the cylinder not running (or running poorly) we are getting blow back and poor suction into the crankcase. Yet again that cylinder has 124 ft lb compression.[?][?]

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Even the slightest increase in RPM is a bad seal. Mine only revved like 100RPMs if that, and it was totally shot!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, we will start pulling it apart Monday, I was hoping that when is was rebuilt, they had put the piston in backwards. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and it will be ok[;)]. Thanks Cam

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 99 500 XC acted similar after 3 different dealers and rebuilt carbs, new jugs, crank seal, most of the electrical components it turned out to be a bad crank pin......
It was under warranty and the thing has run awesome since.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, we pulled the head, pitted on the bad side, piston top not bad, a few small marks. Next we pulled the cylinder, it didn't look too bad considering we had found the oil line broken and just hanging together. Then we found out what I expect is the reason for the blow back, one of the reed valves was broken right off. Didn't see any sign of it, assume it has gone out the exhaust? Would it have pitted up the head but not the piston? Thanks Cam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts