Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ..my 1995 xlt puked out atop crank gasket close to the pto side. my compression is 107 across.. and the sled is running fine/but idle is high,2300/?pto plug indicates sligt lean condition....should i replace the gasketand thats it...or considering 5000 miles... and do rings and complete gasket kit may be pto and mag bearings which adds 200 more dollars ..need advice..scotty ,flin flon manitoa,canada

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
do a leak down test before tearing it apart, since you aren't really sure. How do you figure a base gasket went?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it was me.....while it is apart, measure cylinder bore and compare to specs. If you can get by with putting new rings in it- do it. Your compression is very low IMO with a lot of miles. Buy a complete gasket kit and replace all the old stuff. Invest in new crank seals too.

That's just my opinion, you could probably get away with just changing the base gasket if you know thats the prob.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you plan on keeping the sled for a while, I'd definately recomend replacing all the gaskets, and crank seals. I'd also replace the rings, and pistons (if you can afford it). You'll end up with a brand new engine that you should easily be able to put 5,000 more miles on.

I just rebuilt my 97 XLT SP this fall. Nothing was wrong with it, but it had almost 6,000 miles on it. Since I plan on keeping it for a while (it will eventually go to my better half) I replaced all gaskets, pistons, rings, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts