Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know I've been trying to get the fly wheel off of the crank shaft of my 97 XLT SP so that I can change the oil seals. I had brought it to a sled shop, but unfortunately they were unable to get the fly wheel off. The guy said he ended up breaking 6 hardened steel bolts on his puller in the process.

So now I'm not going to be able to change the seals, check the crank bearings, or drill out that oil hole for the PTO side bearing for added lube. The seal that I can see on the PTO side looks ok. My questions are:

1. Other than actually seeing oil leaking out of one of the seals, how would I know if one went bad or burned up? Loss of compresion? Power?

2. The sled has 6000 miles on it now. I'm changing all the gaskets, pistons, rings, and bearings on the jack and drive shafts. How long do you think (best guess) that the crank seals will last. 500, 1,000, 8,000 more miles?

3. If one or both do go, what in the he!! am I going to do then? Is there any way to cut the fly wheel off without damageing the crank, stator, or case? Or would I have to find a whole new bottom end?

This is going to bug the sh!t out of me now. I will have changed and replaced everything except those stupid seals, and its going to be knawing at me in the back of my mind every time I go out for a ride. Not to mention everything I've heard about the PTO side bearing going bad. I don't think my sled has the external oil line to that bearing. I just have the pulse line going to the case from the fuel pump. Suggestions, concerns, words of encouragement???

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Words of encouragement? From what I hear, crank seals don't go out too often. Unless there are obvious problems, don't stress out over them.

You know that you can get the engine running and spray ether by an area like that to see if the engine rpm changes......

However, if I had your problem, I would definitely replace the @#[email protected] things because its going to be on your mind until the sled dies. Get the flywheel off. Seriously when I had this problem I made the puller holes a little bigger and used that little bigger size bolts, steady EVEN pressure from each hole, a little time, and the flywheel that I spent weeks on finally snapped right off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I tried to find a picture of this on www.Ronnies.com, but couldn't find it. I wanted to see if you'd be able to use an arbour press to press the shaft out of the flywheel. I think you'd get more torque than with a puller.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
777 Posts
hopes this makes you feel better,i have a 97 xlt, with 10000 miles,and have no intention of pulling it apart...,actually it,s never been apart..still runs great

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well heres my take on the subject. Guys i have personally pulled many many many flywheels. Now i have had some stubborn ones but i have never had one i couldnt get off. And i find it very hard to belive that the guy broke hardened bolts. I dont use hardened bolts and i have yet to break one. I have one of those universal flywheel pullers i bought from www.Denniskirk.com but im sure they are available from many other places as well. What you do is thread the bolts into the flywheel securely. Then tighten down the puller bolt against the crank about as tight as you can get it. Get a BIG hammer...im talking at least a 2lb sledge hammer or possibly a 5lb sledge if thats all that is available. Hit the puller bolt a couple times really good, then make sure the puller is still tight. then hit again 2 or 3 times, make sure the puller is still tight. Repeat the process till the flywheel pops off. I have had some stubborn ones, but if i can pull the flywheel off of a 1977 engine that had never been off, i dont think a 1997 would be any more difficult.

As for the crank seals, they do go bad, but its usually due to becoming dry and brittle, but usually involve very hard starting, or inconsistant idle than you can not control. And could eventually lead to a Lean burn down. I burned down 2 pistons due to this in my JD Liquifire before i finally figured out what was wrong. Hope this helps some

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'll give it one more shot over the weekend, using your method ToverU; because I really want to change them out. If I can't get it after this, I'm just going to say screw it and hope for the best. Thanks for everyones coments and advice......I'll let you know how it turns out on Tues or Wed. I've got Mon off due to Veterans Day, and I might be taking Tues off. Thanks again.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tfin, this may help. A little pricey but....

http://www.slp.cc/Polaris_Catalog/maxflypuller.html

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would urge you to use the hammer as a last resort. The shock that drives though the puller is transmitted to everything in the engine or bolted to it. The method does work great for bearings or sprockets but an engine is a precision unit. an impact wrench on a good puller works very well without the stress on the engine.

I know the older Polaris engines would blow the PTO bearing at about 7500-8000 miles but they redesigned the newer ones to avoid this problem. 6000 miles is not that much.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks again everyone for all the advice and coments concerning the flywheel. I tried to get the damn thing off again over the weekend, but still had no luck. I tightened the puller down and gave it a couple of smacks with the sledge, and repeated the process three times. On the third time tightening the the puller, one of my bolts broke. So I to he!! with it! I've used up three weeks trying to get it off, even brought it to a couple of sled shops. I can at least say I tried about every option. (That rugged flywheel puller might of done the trick Bman, but yeah, it is a little pricey, and I just want the engine back in the sled now).

So now I've got the engine back in the chassis with all the new gaskets, pistons, rings, bearings, etc, etc (except for the crank seals). I should have everything else hooked back up this Sat and will give it a trial start Sat afternoon. Wish me luck!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, you're right about that one! I've heard of some flywheels getting broken in the process of trying to get them off. Sounds like this would of been one of them. Just hope my crank seals hold out. Got to put that out of my mind now, and "think happy thoughts".

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts