Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change the clutch side crank seal on a kawasaki f/a 340 in a eltigre without splitting the cases??? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can pry it out and then very gently tap the new one back in.

·
Registered
539 Posts
most crank seals i have seen have a lip on them that sits in a groove in case to make the seal.
i would say no. split the case and do it properly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ive seen my father do it on a 440 in his old panther just to get the sled through a weekend of riding, but even if you get the little sucker in there it wont last as long as if you had done it by splitting the case.
It aint too bad, and that way you can do the mag side seal too and theyll both be new. Just dont take the jugs off, only remove what you have too. Clutch, flywheel, stator assy., and then the case. (match-mark the stator with a punch or chisel so you know exactly how it goes back on)
Shouldnt take more than 3 hrs from pulling the engine till you have it back in.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have done them this way many times and they will last for years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know some motors you are left no choice but to split them
I have also seen guys use a slide puller to get out the old ones that simply press in flush. then soak the new seal in oil and tap in place gently.

What's the consensus?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would recommend splitting the crankcase and change both seals. That way you can check for rust or bad crank bearings and have a good fresh seal on the lower end. It's not as bad since it's a free air engine. I just replace the seals on both my 340 f/c and 440 f/c. It only took about two hours each and that's because of all the fan housing parts. Most work is just pulling the engine. The most important tools you need are a clutch puller and flywheel puller. Be sure to mark your stator before you remove it, that way you won't need to time the engine afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts