Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to tell if a bearing is bad in the crankshaft? Also how to change them and if they can be done outside of a shop? [xx(]

Also I'm looking for a manual for a 96 700 ultra indy touring

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Are you looking for info on seeing if the bearings are out with the crank in the sled, or with it removed?

And all crank bearings are pressed on with a shop press. I dont think they can be done by the average joe (or jane), correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if there is a way of telling if the bearings are bad before taking it apart? Like will it make a certain noise or just cease the engine?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Clicking noises, are bad. This indicates that the ball holder is gone or busted up and that the balls are rolling freely around in there.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Also any growling or grinding is obviously bad. Pretty much any noise is going to be a bad sign. Good bearings are normally pretty quiet while operating. You can also check for crank runout or play with it still in the cases.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
take off your belt and take the plugs out, then spin the engine over by hand vie the clutch. You probably would be able to hear/feel if there is a prob

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Clicking noises, are bad. This indicates that the ball holder is gone or busted up and that the balls are rolling freely around in there.
I was wondering what that clicking noise was all last year. Sure enough, the bearing cage was hanging out of the bearing. Oh well, too late now.[V]

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Sorry I didn't speak up sooner butch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
YOU NEED A PRESS,,,

BUT DOES IT RUN??? IF SO THEN SPRAY STARTING FLUID BEHIND PRIMARY CLUTCH WHILE IDLIG. IF IT CHANGES THE IDLEING RPM THEN THERE BAD !
AND ITS WERTH IT TO BRING THE CRANK TO A MACHINE SHOP, IN MOST CASES ANYHOW!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
just send me your engine. you will get it back with new crank and running a little stronger than before.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by smarcher
[br]YOU NEED A PRESS,,,

BUT DOES IT RUN??? IF SO THEN SPRAY STARTING FLUID BEHIND PRIMARY CLUTCH WHILE IDLIG. IF IT CHANGES THE IDLEING RPM THEN THERE BAD !
AND ITS WERTH IT TO BRING THE CRANK TO A MACHINE SHOP, IN MOST CASES ANYHOW!!!
This will tell you the seals are bad, but nothing beyond that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts