Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked this awhile ago..thought i would give it another go. I wanna put a new oil seal in on the pto side of the sled. I did it last year and it worked find for just about the whole season. i was just wondering if there was any advice for putting it in withought taking out the engine. I thought of maybe heating it up and greasing it up real good and finding a pipe of about the same diamater and pushing it in with something. Anyone do this before?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Nope. The only correct way I know of replacing the crank seals is by pulling the engine and seperating the case.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just finished replacing both seals on mine. You almost have to split the case to do it properly, as the case needs to come apart and then tighten around the seal with the bolts. If your seal has a rib,then there is nothing to even think about. Also a good time to check your bearings. I had to change some.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes people have done this with the engine left in and all it amounts to is a short fix. Make sure when you put the case back together to use the right compound to seal it up with.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Agree with lonewolf take the engine apart,clean everything check the bearings.. it's just common sence

·
Registered
53 Posts
i agree with lonewolf and norway but would go one step further like get the crank checked for runout something definetly wrong if you're changing a seal a season just a thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
pto bearing is likly hooped from dirt ingestion by now anyway! i have got away with the bandaid fix on the other end a couple of times with a drill and wood screw to pull a seal and replace the new one with red locktite as a retainer but i think your past bandaid[xx(]s and you better scrub up for surgery!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts