Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been thinking about this one idea for some time now...the other for just a few days (but I'm really gonna do it someday).

#1...Take two snowmobile engines and put them in a car. If they are say 800 triples or T cat motors...that's a total of say 300-340hp...which is good for a car anyways. Now think about the weight and power to weight ratios. That is probably way less than half of that of a normal car engine. Think about how damn fast this thing would be...nuts. You would just have to figure something out for a tranny and cooling system and you could do it.

#2...Death wish. Take just one engine this time, and any size could still kill ya. Anyways, get the thing into a go cart. This thing, no joke, could probably do well over 150. Now think about it. Say you use a 800 Twin...in a sled it'll do what? 120? Now a sled is 450-500lbs. Putting that in a go cart...hmm. This would maybe be faster than some crotch rockets out there. Also, the dirt/road has much less drag than snow and snowmobiles in general. This thing would literally be a death wish. And I'm gonna build one... :) I'm gonna be taking some engineering and metal working classes in school next year and the year after so I will know what I'm doing. It'll take a while though cuz I don't really have a lot of money...but I figure a few years from now it'll be the baddest toy possible.

Any thoughts?

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
38 Posts
HERE is my idea. I have been thinking this one up for a while. I have this go-cart frame that my grandpa built for me. Its very heavy duty, and it has an 8 horse motor on it, and that thing flys. But i was thinking rather then a sled engine, or a lawnmower engine, how about a Motorcycle engine, Like out outa an old Honda, a 300cc or something. Think about it, get an air cooled one, so there is no cooling bs. Those motor cycle engines have everything, the transmission is all internal. All you have to do is rig up a clutch, a shifter, and figure out your gear ratios. Simple as that, im going to do this one, i will have pics up as soon as i start, which might not be for a while. But it will happen.

Ps, as for exaust, WHAT EXAUST? heh, just cut it off short and have a little header.

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the way you guys think! I got a few ideas and suggestion.
How about you take a 800 triple and ad 1 cyld this will give you about 220 hp stock. Now port it, pipe it, shave it and put it on race fuel (114 octane). Now you got 300+ hp on hand and your weight is less than 300 lb. Just for the engine. Now put that in a rail car at 500 lb and now you got a total of 800 lb.
Now your flying!

Idea #2

Take two 800 MX Z motors and put them together.That gives me a 1600 cc 4cyld with about 330 hp stock. Now port it, pipe it, carb it, shave it, put it on race fuel. That gives me about 430 hp min. Then I can run alcool witch can put me at about 480. And last but not lease ( If I can find one that works!) you put NOS on it and that boost you up to a grand total of 600 - 650hp! Then you put that in a 300 lb all aluminum snowmobile drag chassie.

Is that a crazy idea or what? But the real crazy thing about this story is it's my dream!

ONE THING AT A TIME

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, for the lawnmower engine. One of my friends already did that w/ a 18 hp, and it's pretty fast...pretty cool actually. And I also thought about a motorcycle engine so I could avoid the cooling BS, but for some reason I wanted a 2 stroke...like the sound better.

Now for the huge engines. Man, yer nuts. In a car that would be along what I was thinking. In a go cart...you'd die. HEHE, not to say it wouldn't be fun, but 300 hp strapped to a go cart...that thing could possibly do like 220!!! That's just nuts. My idea I think I'll stick w/ a 800 (maybe not even that) either twin or triple...not sure. But that I figure can possibly get like over 150...and I think that's for real too. But I can't wait to do it. I wish I had the money and Know how NOW!!! HEHE, oh well, I'll wait a few years I think. But I know I'll do it, and I know I'll love it.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think a motor cycle engine would be the best way to go. I mean you can pick one up really cheap. They run forever cuz they got no weight to push around. You don't have to worry about a transmission, a clutch or nothing. Just cut off the engine with the cycle frame attacted (the frame that encloses the engine only) and weld her right up. and stick a chain on it.

Strap on a helmet, some football pads (ill take a nut cup too, to protect the jewels)

And let her rip.

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i would recomend some good tires and a good welding job, cuz if u blow a tire on a go cart doin 60 even, i think u'll be spinnin some mean cookies.....so imagine doin over 100 and blowin a tire, or havin a bearing go out and not having a darn good roll cage welded on around u......

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
my unce and his brother took the back half of a honda 250 and made a complete frame with a rollcage, and made the back indepedent with 4 shocks, the honda was in the back independet from the front, it was sweet, it never ran but it looked sweet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You guys are definately feeling the need for speed. I know what your last words will be before dying...

WATCH THIS!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to believe everything you think!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
"hey guys!!!look what i can do" then u take off and the guys will be like "whoa dude.....thas pretty cool...........uh oh...was he sposed to roll it like that? oh shit, we better go see if hes alright"

hehe...just a thot

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YOu pretty much all pinned it right on the head...hehe. It's gonna be so fun though. And tires...well for off road I'd probly just use some quad tires...and I'd probly get a custom built frame. I know the thing is gonna be really bad ass though, for sure.

The Sled I Ride

·
Registered
671 Posts
My freind and i are plannin on stickin a sled motor, 600tiwn, 600 triple, one of the 2 with pipes, cluthcted, in a wheeler, i got most of the sutff, but i never got the parts to finsih it, maby next year, or if i get an eingin just take that 250 free air in there and stick a nice liquid twin, that might make that wheeler fly

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I saw a picture of a guy at the Billings, MT hillclimb (motorcycle). He took a sled motor and clutches and put them in his motorcycle. He must have had enough power because he endoed going up a cliff!! Very cool! I think it was in dirtrider.

You don't have to believe everything you think!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts