Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just wondering about what to do to change my power valve gaskets. is there anything i should look for, parts that will fall out when i take it apart? best way to do it? if anyone could help id greatly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
By the sounds of it you've never had your PV's apart. Check out THIS pic I uploaded awhile ago. If you can't read it, click "view original" to blow it up. That will give you a good idea of how it comes apart, and what to expect. After the valves are out, you will see how to take it apart further to replace the gaskets, if need be. From what I recall, there are no paper gaskets, only metal ones.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Quinlan said:
By the sounds of it you've never had your PV's apart. Check out THIS pic I uploaded awhile ago. If you can't read it, click "view original" to blow it up. That will give you a good idea of how it comes apart, and what to expect. After the valves are you, you will see how to take it apart further to replace the gaskets, if need be. From what I recall, there are no paper gaskets, only metal ones.
That link is a big help, recently bought a sled and don't know if the power valves have been cleaned (only 1800 miles but still) so i'll probably tackle it. About how long does it take for a mechanically inclined person?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Your PV's might be a little different design. Probably still a blade style valve, but with a different valve body. Just a FYI.

The first time I ever did mine, it did not take long at all. (Hard to put a time value on it.) I do not even remove the cables like that link suggested. I just pull the bolts out and then remove the valve from the cylinder. As long as you don't mind working over the engine, you can clean them without a complete removal. You'll want to lay some rags or something over the engine though.

Up to you how you do it though. Some like to remove the valves completely, which is perfectly fine. The first time you do it, just take your time and pay attention to how the gaskets sit, and how the whole assembly fits. After that it'll be a breeze to clean them.

I clean mine at the start of every season and that's it. I don't put over 500 miles on in a season though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts