Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very close to the boarder here and I was wondering is it a big problem towing a sled across? I would love to try some different trails! Also what kind of fees would have to be paid, etc. Thanks!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI
1993 Polaris Storm 750
Piped and Clutched

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sorry dude, don't live at that end of town. Out here on the west coast you would just have to have some proof of ownership and then find some back county. No need for permits unless you actually find some roads you have to travel. At least that is my experience so far.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would not expect the same result the farther east you go. Never been there though.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have crossed the boarder many times here without pulling a sled....no problems ever, but I wonder if it is different with a sled? hmmmmmm

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live six miles from the Minnesota/Manitoba border. I've never actually pulled a sled across the border, but drivin it many times. I think that is the easiest way to go. We just drive across the big lake, entering canadian water (ice) about halfway across. All they ask is that you check in at a remote boarder crossing when you hit the mainland. All that is is pretty much a telephone booth with a cool little video phone and you call in to the nearest customs building and check in. never a big deal. just make sure you do it, the cops up there don't take kindly to unreported snowmobiler's on the mainland...

Yee Haw!!!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that sounds like the way to go alright....Kinda funny weird but really cool that you can do that! Thanks for the info!

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I may take a trip to Canada with buddies this year. It is much more of trip for us though being from Southern Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:

I may take a trip to Canada with buddies this year. It is much more of trip for us though being from Southern Pennsylvania.

[/quote]

Yeah just a little further!!!! I can get to the boarder in about 2 hrs!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a friend that has taken his sled to Canada several times, but I never asked him what's the deal crossing the border.It would be more fun to ride there, but I don't think you can from NY cause of the St Lawrence& Lake Ontario.(does anyone know if there is a trail that goes under niagra falls?)

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
all u seem to need here is to make sure u have a US liscence on it, i dont know if u need to have a canadien liscence on it too, u could...i live bout 5 miles from the ND/MB border. guys at the port are really pretty nice. i guess you could just ride across and say u didnt know u were in canada...at least you could where i live. they say u can ride right through like cars, im sure towin them isnt that different, probably a title is a good idea

Think Snow...hell...might as well think lots of snow!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I have drivven on the trail right on the border last winter. If you step on one side, you are in Canada, the other and you are in the USA. It is easy to get across.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I also might add you may want to check with your insurance agent if you are insured to determine your liability and coverage while out of the country. I'd be willing to bet they need something in writing before you go. Would be awful to get burned on that if it got stolen by a Canuck or wrecked by a 'merican.

My $.02

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good idea on that insurance thing....I would have never even thought about checking that....Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Which reminds me about your travel insurance too. In Canada, we have to get extra travel ins. when crossing the border if you don't have what is called extended medical and you can only be out of the province for less than 6 months of a calendar year.

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our group is going to Quebec in Feb. the cost of registration is $180.00 Canadian or $130.00 US. This includes the required insurance of $500,000. We are told all we need to cross the boarder is a photo ID, and birth certificate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going to Canada? Not an issue!

I am a Canadian who lives in Canada and commutes to the States to work. (Where I sell sleds by the way) Given the events of late the waits can be a little longer if you go at peak times. Try to avoid returning on a Sunday evening. Canada Customs requires 3 pieces of ID now, at least one needs to be a government issued photo id. Be certain to have your sled registrations handy as well as your trailer reg.(although they rarely aske for them, they do require you to prove you own them or they could keep 'em.) All you require is a trail permit (which is about $30 cheaper if you buy before Dec1.) If you plan to go at least twice it pays to get the season permit which is when converted to USD is about $100. So to sum it up. Canada wants you to continue to come enjoy our awesome trails, simply have your id, and registations and you will have NO issues. The Canadian trails simply CANNOT be beat!

A side note, no handguns are allowed in Canada. Make sure to exchange your money at the border. Once you get inland many vendors offer poor exchange rates on US funds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts