Snowmobile Fanatics banner

cryogenics???????

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  madcow 
#1 ·
anyone try this on a sled. at the machine shop my brother works at a guy brought in regular high speed bits that were frozen at one time and they cut cleaner and lasted longer and ran cooler. i have a tank of the luquid in the milk house it is tempting to take the engine apart and let on piston or jug sit in there at a time.

#3 ·
Yes they freeze the metal in liquid nitrogen. It alligns the mollecules so that they don't move as much or in a more predictable way. They do it to some race engines and rifle barrels to for accuracy. I know a couple guys that have experimented with it. It works, but the gains on an engine aren't worth the cost IMO

#5 ·
At different temperatures the molecules move at different rates. The Idea of tempering is to heat the metal up to get the molecules moving and then quench it in cool water. This stops the molecules in their place. This makes the metal much harder but more brittle. If the nitrogen gets the same results than the chance of cracking or shattering is greater.

#6 ·
one thing you guys should know it that the molecules are in one place already when they are solid they are just shacking in place and the colder you go the less they shake, if you have alignment of the molecules that has to do with the polarity of the metal, like how you can align the molecules in steel and it will be a light magnet, there is a lot more to it

#7 ·
Originally posted by zackattack
[br]At different temperatures the molecules move at different rates. The Idea of tempering is to heat the metal up to get the molecules moving and then quench it in cool water. This stops the molecules in their place. This makes the metal much harder but more brittle. If the nitrogen gets the same results than the chance of cracking or shattering is greater.
If you are working with a low carbon steel that has not been carborized you can heat it and quench it until the cows come home and all you will have is soft metal. That was my point; I don't think you can harden aluminum.

Jacqui.

#15 ·
yes i store my seman in it. lol. my ucle gives me free seman as well . lol.

you know you are a read neck when you get farm equipment for you wedding annaversary and seman when your uncle visits. hahahahahaha.

#16 ·
Hey Cowboy the cryogenics process goes something like this. First the parts frozen to -300 degrees F for like 24 hours then it is gradually warmed up to +300 degrees for like 24 hours. Which alines the molecules and releaves stress. It is a spendy process but I have heard it works great. A good site to check it out is
www.sub-zero-cryogenics.com Riley

#18 ·
Originally posted by madcow
[br]yes i store my seman in it. lol. my ucle gives me free seman as well . lol.

you know you are a read neck when you get farm equipment for you wedding annaversary and seman when your uncle visits. hahahahahaha.
OH BOY!!!! [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][xx(]

#19 ·
I read an article on this a couple of years ago when someone was using cryogenics on cylinders and they were lasting a lot longer and could take more abuse (Heat) without problems. Same article talked about doing this to computer processors so they could be run faster (generate more heat) without causing any reliability issues.

After reading the article I thought it was a great Idea but didn't wan't to be the first to try it on my new (at the time) sled.

#20 ·
i have heard a guy in alaska had a 600zrt mod. he had troubles so just for fun they tried it and it made more power and took a lot more abuse. i thought heck i have the tank maybe next summer i would dyno the sled do the process and dyno the sled again to see if it gain hp or ran cooler or could take a leaner burn.

#24 ·
they do a dummy cow with a condom in it and as soon as he is done they go get it and then put it in little straws seal them and freeze them. what a wonderful job to have.
first date: so what do you do
man: i watch a bull have sex with a fake cow and then collect his load. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.