Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i wanted to know if anyone has ever chopped a windshield i got a really tall one on my sled and dont want the tall one want a shorter one and dont wana pay much what kind of blade should i use?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would draw your line W/a sharpie or other marker, then use something for a straight edge (board, alum. level, ect.) And go over it w/ a exacto knife, making several passes going deeper each time. Just be sure its warm, a cold one will be more brittle--but I guess it is aug. just dont know how warm it is in mn. If cold, bring it in the house, or use a hair dryer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
allright thanks alot and i dont think ill have a problem with the warmth thing it was 105 here with the humidity and my mom said im crazy for working on the sled i got an itch to work on it!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
good luck dude! And I dont blame you, Im always playing w/ them in the heat too lol, put up a pic so we can check er out

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have done it with my last two sleds. Its very easy. Get some blue vinyl fineline tape (1/4" works well) and lay it out on your windshield. This lets you see what it will look like before you cut, and also lets you look at it and make sure you get both sides the same height, etc. Then you can cut it with either a dremel or tin-snips. IMO its better with a dremel, I have had a windshield crack when cutting it with snips. The last step is to put the black trim back on your newly cut windshield, and cut to length.

Here are before and after pictures of cutting the windshield on my ZR and XC

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
did mine too....i had to use the wire brush thing on the dremel but it turned out alright

1 - 7 of 7 Posts