Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a boost bottle on my '01 XC 700 SP and I have a question about cutting out the holes in the carb boots (risers). I'm having a hard time cutting the holes in a perfect circle. I'm a little nervous about sending the knife through the side of the riser. Not sure if these holes have to be perfectly round...or just equal in size.... Anyone with any advice on this?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i just used a 3/4" drill bit (at least i think it was 3/4, the directions say use a 1/4" bit and drill 3 diagonal holes or somethn..)and drilled most of it out. make sure you dont forget to put the reed stuffers togther in the carb boots and trace the hole you drilled.. then take the stuffers out and cut those with an exacto knife. its pretty easy to do.. i can only say that now becuase i did it once hehe.. as soon as you get everything back together and start it the rpm will jump a lot so dont forget where it normally idles. then you will most likely have to adjust the air mixture screws before you take it out.. after i put my bottle on and got it to the right idle it wouldnt take off for nothn, just bog down so i had to adjust the air mixture screws. i honestly think i can feel it more responsive than before..

·
Registered
975 Posts
You like the boost bottle then confusedguy? was thinkin of tryin one of them myself.Don't forget to post it here CATmuncher how you make out and how it feels. Mark

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i sold my sled to my uncle just after i put it on.. but i got a new one for my 600 just gota break the motor in.. so far my new sled has almost 500 miles. but i can tell the 500(my old sled) gets better milage than it did before. not a ton but it does get more.. and i felt a lot more response on the throttle than i rememberd before it was on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'm back from my first weekend ride after installing the boost bottle.

To answer my initial question to the crowd...I used a die grinder with a cone shaped bit to round out the holes, and open them up nice and wide. Worked well because the bit shaft is smooth and was less likely to damage the risers themselves, unlike a drill bit. (Dremel would work well also).

As for the performace gains, I can notice an improvement in response, especially in the mid-range and fuel mileage is slightly better. Not totally thrilled with hole shots, but the carbs may need a little more adjusting. It's not bogging, but I think it could be more crisp. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts